Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Older version's still serve a purpose for someone somewhere, so they wont be removed. That idea also was discussed in other threads.
    MSN, AOL, and most chat providers do force upgrading the clients, to better work with the newer server software. This is for many reasons, and most importantly its for security, such as holes discovered in the cleint or server software.
    Sometimes they decide to switch from using C programs to XML. There are many reasons why they force updgrades which as long as the service remains free to use, i do not see a problem with upgrading. Now, if you were paying for the service, and each upgrade forced upon you ended up costing you more money, then i could see people being frustrated.

Originally posted by Guest@Feb 27 2004, 07:40 PM
    personally,...it might make some sense to take down the older versions of msn messenger...as in anything from 5.0 or eariler
    somehow I dont think that ones goig to fly round here, OldVersion.com removing old versions lol

Originally posted by Goslow+Feb 27 2004, 08:01 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Goslow @ Feb 27 2004, 08:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Goslow@Feb 27 2004, 08:01 PM

somehow I dont think that ones goig to fly round here, OldVersion.com removing old versions lol
    [/b][/quote]
    yeah,that was a long shot suggestion...considering no matter how hard you try,weither it be with msn messenger (anything older then 5.0) or even trillian (I&#39;ve tested it and talked to the creators...even with the patch it won&#39;t log in to msn without Trilly Pro 2.0 or higher,or the freeware one) or others (which I&#39;ve tried) Microsoft has enforced it because of thier servers

and believe me me and a few net friends HAVE tried and well had no luck

sad thing is I have problems with my isp (which I use a outdated version of the browser of for) and logging on with msn messenger 5.0...and I&#39;m on windows 95&#33;

also the download works now...thanks to whoever fixed it

Ok I got my new laptop and downloaded MSN 6.1 from day 1 it never worked. I have tried reinstalling 6.1 again still doesnt work and also tried installinh 6.0 it don&#39;t work either. It has the signing in screen then it just stops goes back to login page and pop up says " we were unable to sign you in... blah blah... possibly cause of a problem with the service or with your internet connection. please check you are connected to the internet"

help would be soooo appreciated...

Super Moderator

What OS are you running, is your password correct, it does matter between capital and lowercase letters.
    Did you check for known issues with your system and that version on the developers homepage?
    I shouldn&#39;t have to ask but I will, are you online when your trying to connect?
    Have a firewall running? Be sure to let the service through.

I don&#39;t know what OS is so couldnt tell you what I&#39;m running.
    Firewall is not activated.
    I&#39;m definately using the right passwords and definately connected to the internet... it does actually sign me in about once every 2 3 weeks.
    there are no &#39;known issues&#39;.

Originally posted by Guest@Apr 7 2004, 05:13 AM
    I don&#39;t know what OS is so couldnt tell you what I&#39;m running.
    OS is operating system such as Windows, Linux, Mac, ect.

Super Moderator

Usually the reasons you get that &#39;unable to sign you in&#39; is due to bad password or bad username. If your certain its correct,the next step I would do is eliminate the suspect software form the equation. Try an alternative to MSN. One simple way is to test your account with the dmsn.
    http://www.dmsn.nl/

Also, there are many other alternatives you can try to access your account, without using the Offical Messenger client from MS.
    http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...t=ST&f=2&t=1395

Since the previous versions of msn are useless, Why waste server space? Ditch them. :unsure:

Super Moderator

Originally posted by zyxmd+Apr 17 2004, 08:29 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (zyxmd @ Apr 17 2004, 08:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Since the previous versions of msn are useless, Why waste server space? Ditch them. :unsure:[/b]

Worthless to whom? The debate of continuing to host old "worthless" software has been discussed many times. If you would understand the reasons behind the site, it then becomes clear why these titles are being kept.

<!--QuoteBegin--About
    @ http://www.oldversion.com/aboutov.php
    Lastly, there is a need to archive cultural artifacts. If software is allowed to disappear into the past, a piece of our history will be lost. People must be have access to this data in order to understand the direction the computer industry and civilization as a whole is heading. [/quote]