Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Elena Takami

Erk..

Is there any way of getting around the new Microsoft ban on any version of MSN messenger below 5.0? (I had 4.6, but I started getting the ''You must upgrade to a newer version'' message-and-auto-log-out)

I want my old version back; 5.0 keeps freezing the PC

Also, I have the uneasy feeling soon they'll ban 5 as well -_-

Super Moderator

I think this was already asked on the forum, it all depends on how MS is blocking the older versions from connecting to the servers. If the client has some sort of handshaking going on with the server and exchanging versions numbers or a "secret" word, then it will be difficult to bypass this. It could be simple also, such as a change to an ini file or a registry setting. It will take someone who has time and willingness to find out.
    there is also the alternative chat clients, you could try inplace of the newest MSN client.

ohad

i want to use the 4.6 msn version but i keep getting amessege when i log in that there is anew version and i must install her ..... my computer does not suport the new version!!!!! what can i do???

Super Moderator

as posted time and time again on this site, please search the forum before posting the same questions, since your problem is not unique, as many have already posted this. The solution is to either use the newest version of MSN, or use an alternative, which is why there is a pinned topic on Alternative Chat Clients.
    Microsoft is banning the use of older clients onto their servers. Possibly done via client/server handshaking, so there is no way around this - currently.
    If you computer can not run the newest version, not sure why it can not, then you will be left to go with one of the alternatives, or, stop using MSN and switch to one of the less-problematic services, such as ICQ.

stoner_403

ok it says msn messenger 4.5 is saposed to work for windows 95 but every time i try to log in on it, it says there is a newer version of msn messenger so what do i do?please help me out on this i really want msn but i cant download any other messenger cuz they dont work for windows 95 please help

Super Moderator

Microsoft has locked out older versions. Even if the version is the only one that will work with 95, MS will still not permit it to connect. also note that MS does not support Win9x any longer. So they won't help solve this issue, they will just say to update your program or OS to XP.
    the only solution you might end up being faced with is to just use an alternative client.

Beta

Originally posted by stoner_403@Jan 7 2004, 07:12 AM
    ok it says msn messenger 4.5 is saposed to work for windows 95 but every time i try to log in on it, it says there is a newer version of msn messenger so what do i do?please help me out on this i really want msn but i cant download any other messenger cuz they dont work for windows 95 please help
    MSN Messenger 5.0 will work with Windows 95. Download it here.

hello there everybody

now letme state this clear: Microsoft .NET Messenger messed up!!!

I dunno about you but well...clearly msn did a 'use the newest or else' deal...anything under MSN Messenger 5.0,clearly won't work because of microsoft "Security Issues".

now I really like this site,old versions,and stuff....but I think you all should just know...msn messenger 5.0 and up works....as for anything below 5.0,it simply won;t work...and well,better safe then sorry

thought I would warn you all

~The Guest

personally,as a guest,I was only gonna say in this post...it might make some sense to take down the older versions of msn messenger...as in anything from 5.0 or eariler

also I tried to download msn messenger 5.0 off the site and it said the installer was messed,try getting it off microsoft.com (and both ms and msn both only have 6.1 sadly)

oh well,as a Guest I think Microsoft was a pest to enforce people to use the newest junk...it's worse then AOL and forcing people to use the newest 9.0 junk!!!

(but this is a msn thread...not a aol one)

~ The Guest