Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

I can park a car in my garage, if you know what I mean.
    As far as programs being considered "Historical documents", their not exactly the Magna Carta.

Not a sermon, just a thought.

Super Moderator

Museums serve no purpose? You don't go to them to take the Model T's around the block do you? You only look at them, to see where cars started, and how they have progressed to now.
    Old software may serve you personally no purpose, but for software developers, they can be idea's. I can take a piece of software an examine the layout, structure and many times, the actual code, this is the reason why SCO has released their older UNIX code, for historical reasons, to examine the code. Even the license describes the software as Ancient.
    The UNIX code won't do anyone any good to compile and run, but being able to look at the way the code is written can help out many people.

Another reason is just because you personally can't do anything with the older software, does not mean someone else can't find a use for it, such as the many people who still insist on older version of Napster, so they can use the built in media player.

Originally posted by locustfurnace@Apr 17 2004, 09:29 AM
    Museums serve no purpose? You don't go to them to take the Model T's around the block do you? You only look at them, to see where cars started, and how they have progressed to now.
    Old software may serve you personally no purpose, but for software developers, they can be idea's. I can take a piece of software an examine the layout, structure and many times, the actual code, this is the reason why SCO has released their older UNIX code, for historical reasons, to examine the code. Even the license describes the software as Ancient.
    The UNIX code won't do anyone any good to compile and run, but being able to look at the way the code is written can help out many people.

Another reason is just because you personally can't do anything with the older software, does not mean someone else can't find a use for it, such as the many people who still insist on older version of Napster, so they can use the built in media player.
    This was the answer I was looking for. Not an argument. It was my understanding that an upgraded version of software contained all/most of the original script. I'm not a programer, but I do collect informational documents... Dictionaries. I know this sounds silly, but they are tangible and full of clues to our evolution as a modern society.

Perhaps if I understood programing, I could understand your passion for saving it.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by zyxmd@Apr 17 2004, 09:58 AM
    It was my understanding that an upgraded version of software contained all/most of the original script.
    Not all contain the same code. Many programs are first coded in a different programming language to get a prototype out the door. So that the ideas and concepts can be realized. Such as someone might code a program in python or even perl. Then when alot of the actual implimentations are coded and adjustments are made. Some will re write the code over in C or C++ or even ASM.
    So that maybe the beta software was a perl program or a python program. and now for final release it's a C program.
    Keeping the older versions of the software might not do any good, as they won't be as fast as a C or C++ or or assembly coded app, but the code itself can be examined by someome wishing to learn how to make the transistion from python to C.
    I see many program start out with a certain set of toolkits, such as tck, tcl, or gtk. Then next time I go to build the software its using trolltechs QT or gtk2. Or now its using xforms when it had started out in ncurses.

No argument implied.
    Not my passion for saving the software, as this is not my site. That passion goes to the Admins/Owners; Ablix and Igor.

Mo

Every time i try and log into an older version of msn it just says that i must install the updated version to continue, do you understand how diabolically frustrating this is, the only reason i downloaded an older version is because it takes half the time and i cant be bothered to faf around with the newer one

boffy_b

Version 5 of the official client still works, or you could use aMSN, available for Windows, OSX, or *nix. Supports display pictures and custom emoticons, but not video or audio chat yet.

MajoMH

Just wanted to say a big Thank You for not ditching the older versions of Messenger. I liked version 6.0 a lot. When I started getting those annoying "Upgrade or else" messages I was able to ignore them for a time, but eventually MSN got me blocked completely so I had to update, BIG mistake. Messenger 6.1 wasn't really any different then the 6.0, but the biggest difference I saw was notifying of when a received file is downloaded. In 6.0 a link would show in the message window and I could click on this link to open the file, mostly in my case it's images created with Paint Shop Pro. My friends and I make images and then send them to each other "regularly" so imagine my shock when I find out in 6.1 that I have to browse to the received folder, browse the received folder for the downloaded image, before I can even view the image I received. What a pain in the butt. So I figured I would try an earlier version. Well I downloaded and installed the 4.7. When I ran it I got the stupid "Upgrade or Else" message. I was so upset. msn really bits big time. It should be my decision whether I upgrade or not. How dare they tell me what I can and can't have on my computer. Well I needed to send a file so I went ahead and did the upgrade, and wouldn't you know it, I still have 4.7. Not really sure what the whole upgrade thing was about but at least I don't have version 6.1. And when I receive files I get that WONDERFUL link that allows me to open the received image without having to browse my computer for it. Sure I can't have my own picture like in 6.0, but I can live without that. As long as I can send and receive files without a lot of pain in the butt motions I'm good.

Thank you so much
    MajoMH

DxD

Um.. can anyone help me out?

I've been using MSN 5.0 for the longest time.

My OS is Win 98 SE

I speak Korean but with WIN98se, I can't type korean in ver6.0+

Hence I use msn 5.0

but for the past couple of days msn 5.0 just doesn't allow me to sign in

it's not asking for upgrade or anything, but the message I get when my password is incorrect and stuff

I can sign in no problem with ver 6.2

can anyone help me out? what's wrong with my 5.0??

Uter

is there neway of getting msn 1.0 to work without having to update? i know this had probably been asked 100 times, but im not looking for an internet forum fight, if u can help me then please help me, if ur just gunna come in here to say weve answered this b4 dont be so lazy and find the thread, well then keep ur mouth shut cos i dont wanna hear it

thanks alot to all the ppl who will help me with out ne arguments