Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
    Release Candiate 1

Gold

I've tried that and still can't get it to work. Hence my posting here.

Beta

Quote Originally Posted by TheOzman View Post
    Gday.

I really want to downgrade my MSN Messenger. I don't want 7.5 or 8 anymore.
    I would like to use any version from 1 to 5...

Now I have uninstalled the 7.5 and 8, then I downloaded a number of different Messenger versions from this site.

Once I install the old version and try to sign in, I get this message:

By clicking 'No' it stops signing in. By clicking 'Yes' it continues to upgrade back to Messenger 8.

Anyone know how to get rid of it so i can comfortably use an old version on messenger?

Thanks in advance!
    -TheOzman
    By looking at that screenshot, it looks like you're running Windows XP. Windows XP comes with it's own Messenger client which is called Windows Messenger. It is basically MSN Messenger 4.x, it looks and functions a lot like it, but compatible with Windows XP (and still is supported). You can get to Windows Messenger by clicking the Start button, go to (All) Programs, and choose Windows Messenger. If there isn't a Windows Messenger icon there, then you can download it from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

If your computer already has Windows Messenger installed on it, it may be an older one and you may have to upgrade it to get it to connect as older versions of Windows Messenger are no longer supported. But otherwise, it should work fine.

If you know the URL it goes to for the update check you could block that in your host file (That worked with Skype for a couple weeks (Idiots posted about that on Skype's own site ))

Good luck!

Beta

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    If you know the URL it goes to for the update check you could block that in your host file (That worked with Skype for a couple weeks (Idiots posted about that on Skype's own site ))

Good luck!
    That could work, but for the very old ones it requires a special proxy to be able to make the old protocols sign in to the newer server. There was one available that worked for quite a while, but no longer works, and I haven't heard of any updates to that program (yet).

I think the best route to take to run a non-bloated MSN client would be to use Windows Messenger (provided that you're on a Windows XP machine). It's lightweight and basically is what you're looking for if you want a non-bloat Microsoft Messenger client.

Default Windows Me can only work with msn messenger 5

Hi
    Don't know about Ozman, but I've got Windows Me (I know I know!) and I get exactly the SAME messsage as him, requesting the newer version of msn to be installed.
    Thing is Windows Me can't take the new msn messenger version, so I can't open the new version and I can't open the downloaded version of msn messenger 5 either (see screen message posted by Ozman). I can't install a newer version of Windows either as I've been advised my 'old' (in technological terms) computer isn't capable of taking it.
    I've searched all weekend on forums etc and can't get an answer. Can anyone help? I'm going crazy as I've been without messenger for 6 wks now and my pals think I've gone AWOL !!
    So question is, how can I get msn messenger 5 to work without saying it needs the newer version of msn messenger?

Beta

Jinky, thankfully there is a way. (First, you might want to write down the version number of your MSN 5.0, such as 5.0.0544, which can be found in Help -> About MSN Messenger)

Download: Hex Workshop from http://www.bpsoft.com/.
    Be sure to have MSN 5 exited before you use Hex Workshop.
    Open MSN 5's msnmsgr.exe in Hex Workshop.
    Click the Edit menu, and click Replace.
    Click the Type arrow, and select Text String.
    In the Find box, type the version of your MSN 5. (That also include the build number, i.e 5.0.0544)
    In the Replace box, type 6.2.0544. Click OK. Click Replace All. Click OK. Exit Hex Workshop. Open MSN Messenger 5. You should now be able to sign in.

I hope this helps.

I wonder if that would werk for Skype

yes, Yes, YES !!!!!!!!!

It works !! Atleast it seems to work although nobody was online for me to check it out, but it certainly let me log in like it used to !!!
    It might be my imagination but everything seems to be working slower ....
    Just one more question, do I have to keep Hex on my computer for msn to work each time now?
    Thank you, thank you !! A big thank you from France !!

Beta

Glad it's working for you.

No, you do not need to keep the hex editor. The slowness might be because of your internet connection, or it could be Microsoft's servers.