Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: About Winxp/sp2

So I've installed service pack 2 with no problem.

Does anyone know if the downloaded sp2, ( 78.8 megs on my download ) be found and saved to CD? If so, can you tell me where it is normally located? I presume it is, ( or was ) saved somewhere in the \windows subdirectory.

I'm thinking if I save it to CD-R, I won't have to waste 2-5 hours downloading it if I reinstall winXP. Additionally, my PC might be more secure prior to going online if I were able to install it beforehand.

Because I can't easily find it, I suspect it was programmed to delete after installation.

Thanks.

Super Moderator

If you know the filename or date when you downloaded it around, you can use the Find Files to search for those files. If they still reside on the hard drive, then you can locate them, and create a cd with those files on it.

Just set the search to search back xxx many days. or between 2 certain days and it should find them for you.

Release Candiate 2

Or buy a magazine with a SP2 CD such as (In the UK) PC Advisor, PC Answers or PC Plus

Thanks again folks.

According to my PC and or Microsoft, the 78.8 download was one file, ( pre installation anyway ).

After trying the usual search methods, I have not found any file of that size on the PC. Many smaller files related to it, ( sp2.cab at 21 megs for instance ) are there, but so far I've had no luck finding the original "mother" file.

I can, and may just buy a mag with the sp2 on CD included, I just would have rather had the "pristine" one straight from MS.

Funny, I may be able to use good old Qbasic from years ago to program a algorythm to find files by size, say over 50 megs. I can't understand why MS does not do such simple things as this. It would be easy for them.

Thanks again.