Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

jimmy g

i have no clue which one to download...winace...winzip...power archiver...which offers the most compatibility with different compressed file types? thanks for anyones help

Super Moderator

Similar thread;
    http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...ct=ST&f=2&t=199

IZarc Freeware, archive utility suports many archive formats like: 7-ZIP, A, ACE, ARC, ARJ, B64, BH, BZ2, BZA, CAB, CPIO, DEB, ENC, GCA, GZ, GZA, HA, JAR, LHA, LIB, LZH, MBF, MIM, PAK, PK3, RAR, RPM, TAR, TAZ, TBZ, TGZ, TZ, UUE, WAR, XXE, YZ1, Z, ZIP, ZOO

Originally posted by locustfurnace@Sep 16 2004, 08:43 PM
    Similar thread;
    http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...ct=ST&f=2&t=199

IZarc Freeware, archive utility suports many archive formats like: 7-ZIP, A, ACE, ARC, ARJ, B64, BH, BZ2, BZA, CAB, CPIO, DEB, ENC, GCA, GZ, GZA, HA, JAR, LHA, LIB, LZH, MBF, MIM, PAK, PK3, RAR, RPM, TAR, TAZ, TBZ, TGZ, TZ, UUE, WAR, XXE, YZ1, Z, ZIP, ZOO
    I like Winrar if storage space is a priority, Winzip if it's not.

Both of the above are shareware. 7-zip is a fairly good program and is if I recall correctly, is free to use. I don't care for it only because it still seems a little buggy.

Super Moderator

I have been using 7-zip (windows port) for well over a year. As for being buggy, I've never had a problem with the app. &zip is mentioned in the posted thread.
    Most of my files are stored in bz2 format, which is slightly better than gz format. But i keep all windows files still in the zip format.
    I prefer the organization of tarred files versus the way most people zip up files. So be sure to always tar before gzipping or bzipping.