Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Nero Help

Arnaux

I have Nero Burnin Rom 5.5 that came with my original CD drive. Now I have a new CD drive and it won't work.
    I want to stick with 5.5 (i'm used to it) and I can't seem to get Nero to tell me how and what to buy to get this to work. I don't want Nero 6 Ultra.........I just want my 5.5 to work again.
    Any suggestions?
    Nero seems to be pushing their Nero 6 and I find their site extremely difficult to figure out if you don't want Nero 6.

you say you have nero 5.5 but 5.5 what , there are 2 more numbers after the 5.5 have you tried the update from the downloads section at ahead which updates you current one to 55.10.56, note this is a update not a upgrade which usually adds support for more and newer drives i would imagine if this does not fix your problem then you may have to go for the nero 6 or find an alternative

http://www.nero.com/en/nero-up_vor.php nero downloads page for the update

arnaux

It's Nero 5.5.10.9 bundled. It came bundled with my original CD drive and worked great with that drive but not with my new drive.
    On Nero's site, my new CD drive (QSI) has been supported since 5.5.8.3f.
    I simply want a way for the software I already have and like very much to work with my new CD drive.
    I have contacted Nero support, but they just keep telling me to download "infotools" and go through a complex copy and send of the error message I get. They don't seem to be able to answer a simple question, like........"Can I buy something to unlock this software to work with my current CD drive?"
    I understand that bundled means it was issued to work with the drive it came with, but what about when one gets a new drive? Does it mean you have to buy a whole new software package? That seems nuts.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by arnaux+Oct 21 2004, 08:37 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (arnaux @ Oct 21 2004, 08:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>It&#39;s Nero 5.5.10.9 bundled. ..... my new CD drive (QSI) has been supported since 5.5.8.3f.[/b]

If you say the version you want to use (5.5.10.9) has supported this new drive since 5.5.83f, then could the problem your facing not be the software, but the media your using to burn to?

Not all media works with all drives. I&#39;ve had to give away a 50pack of CDRW, when I bought a new drive that would no longer work with those blanks.

Originally posted by -arnaux@Oct 21 2004, 08:37 PM
    "Can I buy something to unlock this software to work with my current CD drive?
    You can usually update for free a couple of points increases. But they do not have a special patch just for purchasing.

Originally posted by -arnaux@Oct 21 2004, 08:37 PM
    I understand that bundled means it was issued to work with the drive it came with, but what about when one gets a new drive? .
    Bundled software is packaged so that when you buy a hardware recorder, you have software to use, this software is not free, you pay for it when you purchase the drive.
    When one buys a new hardware recorder, they usually again, come packaged with software.

<!--QuoteBegin--arnaux
    @Oct 21 2004, 08:37 PM
    Does it mean you have to buy a whole new software package? That seems nuts.[/quote]
    Yes. This is one way that these companys make a profit. When you bought the first drive, you paid for the software and the license to be used with that drive. When you get a new drive, it usually will come packaged with newer software & a new license.
    As with the Microsoft Windows Operating System, its generally not permisible to use the software on more than 1 machine at the same time, or to use the said software in a new machine. This is one of the big reasons of the XP Activation procedure.

I&#39;ve purchased 3 drives over time, from a CD recorder 1x, 24x, and a DVD recorder, each came packaged with different software than the ones I preferred to use, and my old favorite software would not work with the newest drives.

This is no simple answer, you can either find a freeware alternative that works with your drive, or pay for Nero6 or switch to another program, such as NTI CD Maker.
    Or, determine if the software is the issue or if it is the media.

Originally posted by arnaux@Oct 21 2004, 08:37 PM
    It&#39;s Nero 5.5.10.9 bundled. It came bundled with my original CD drive and worked great with that drive but not with my new drive.
    On Nero&#39;s site, my new CD drive (QSI) has been supported since 5.5.8.3f.
    I simply want a way for the software I already have and like very much to work with my new CD drive.
    I have contacted Nero support, but they just keep telling me to download "infotools" and go through a complex copy and send of the error message I get. They don&#39;t seem to be able to answer a simple question, like........"Can I buy something to unlock this software to work with my current CD drive?"
    I understand that bundled means it was issued to work with the drive it came with, but what about when one gets a new drive? Does it mean you have to buy a whole new software package? That seems nuts.
    obviously then the original software is drive specific , meaning it will only support the type of drive it was shipped with, i have a copy of nero that supports yamaha and no others unless you go help and then enter a new serial number which unlocks it so it will support any drive type. unfortunately that would mean contacting ahead software again and asking to purchase a serial number for that version.

guest_arnaux

Thank you for all the info.
    Drive is fine.........media is fine
    I will go back to Ahead Software and ask how to get a serial number for this version and this drive.........it is apprarently drive specific.
    I am not trying to circumvent their licensing and don&#39;t mind paying for a legit serial number. However, my experience with Ahead (at least 4 emails to their support) has been unsatisfactory up to this point. They keep asking for this "infotools" thing and pointing me to Version 6 upgrades. I will try again.