Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

memoryman

I've got a computer running W98 and Acrobat Ver.3 which recently has started throwing up errors when opening Acrobat documents. If it is a plain or simple document it opens fine, but if it contains a complex diagram it throws up the error "Cannot find Color Space%" If I choose the option to "Supress further errors?", the document opens but without the diagrams. Is this a new command not supported by version 3, in which case which version would you recommend as an upgrade - bearing in mind it needs to run on W98. Thanks for your help.

it could be chucking up errors due to the software itself, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your version 3 , i usually only step up one version at a time if i have to in any program until i resolve my problem.

Super Moderator

Different versions of Acrobat support different pdf types. For example, there are pdf12 (PDF 1.2/Acrobat 3.0), pdf13 (PDF 1.3/Acrobat 4.0), or pdf14 (PDF 1.4/Acrobat 5.0).

These support many different encodings. This could be different structures, such as tables, colors, fonts (Type 1, TrueType...etc), encryption, embeddings, compression, page types (A4, landscape...) .

It is possible that the pdf you are trying to open is encoded in a higher PDF type than the version of Acrobat Reader your using. This would be the reason for the errors.

Acrobat Reader is not the best pdf reader there is, which is surprising considering that Adobe created the PDF format. Higher quality PDF readers do exist, such as Ghostview.

As for which version can you run on Win98, I do not see any problems running the latest version of Acrobat Reader on Win98. I currently have Acrobat Reader 5.5 on my Win98 system. I know several people using Acrobat Reader 6.0 on their Win98 systems.
    As also stated by straight talker, what you might want to do is move up to Acrobat Reader 4.0, try opening your problem pdf, if everything works fine for you, then stay at that version of Acrobat Reader. If you still have problems, move up another step.

You could try this program, I've never tried it, tested it or even downloaded it. But it is *supposed* to strip Acrobat Reader so it loads faster.
    Acrobat Speedup

You can download any version, older or newer from Adobe's ftp site
    ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/win/

bmh67wa

Acrobat Reader 6.0 works fine on one of my Windows 98 systems. There should be no problem using it on yours.

Default same type of problem with adobe 3

Hi, I had adobe reader 3 but updated to most current and nothing would work, so I took it off and tried to load again, same thing no documents will open.I downloaded the older version i had and I just have blank pages when I try to open a doc.anything I am missing or any help would be great.I had been deleting many older programs that were no longer used so I may have taken something off I needed for adobe reader to work.Anything anyone can thing of let me know.Thanks

I switched to the Foxit reader and really prefer it (so much that I uninstalled Adobe reader) and it works perfectly on XP and my W98 computer.
    http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=foxit
    YMMV

Adobe Acrobat was the first software to support Adobe Systems' Portable Document Format. It is a family of software, some commercial and some free of charge. Adobe Reader is available as a no-charge download from Adobe's web site, and allows the viewing and printing of PDF files.
    ----------
    Nickysam
    Last edited by the gaffer; 09-09-2008 at 01:48 AM. Reason: removed advertising