Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

leave_me_alone_0001

Is there anyone here who knows which programs I can stop running on the Processes tab on the Task Manager without messing anything up? I'm just trying to find a way to speed up my computer while it's running..so if anyone has any ideas other than this then they would definitely help too.

Super Moderator

The only 2 apps that must be running are Explorer and the systray. Al others can be shut down.
    Now, if your running anti-virus apps. then you might want to leave those running.
    Personally, with a good backup plan, you really shold not need to run Anti-virus software 24/7. You could run it once, and close it, Or run it when your downloading software.
    If you have a fast enough machine, then you can leave it running. I would suggest something not so intrusive, Nortons and McAfee seem to want to control too much on the machine, more than just virus patrolling.

To stop certain apps from loading, if your version of Windows has it, then run the program msconfig to remove some of the start up applications you do not want running.

to learn a little more about msconfig http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/ if running windows ME do not disable statemgr.exe this is the system restore program.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by straight talker@Dec 7 2004, 06:04 PM
    if running windows ME do not disable
    As important as the state manager might be, on older machines, this can be such a slow down that it will not be worth while to use.
    I have a machine; 233mhz box, which has Windows ME on it, and the first thing removed was the system restore. Also might be considered not to use if running on a low capacity HD.
    Since I use disk imaging software for creating a initial restoration image, I can restore any boxes I run within a few minutes.

Originally posted by locustfurnace+Dec 8 2004, 12:01 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (locustfurnace @ Dec 8 2004, 12:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--straight talker@Dec 7 2004, 06:04 PM
    if running windows ME do not disable
    As important as the state manager might be [/b][/quote]
    a very good point locustfurnace but i for the purpose of safety always presume that everyone doesnt have a disc image or a back up of the system to reinstall as so so many people dont bother and if they encounter problems after installing ann app or making changes they are left with nothing to go back to if system restore has been disabled

Super Moderator

Originally posted by straight talker@Dec 8 2004, 04:22 PM
    always presume that everyone doesnt have a disc image or a back up
    to add,
    until its too late.
    MS Windows, comes with a backup program. MS Backup, it worked well back in the 9x series, I used to use it all the time, and saved me a good bit of time, though it lacks what I wanted back then,which was to make an image. I&#39;d still have to reinstall the whole OS, but I could get my settings and programs back on in far less time than before.
    I just took the long hour to reinstall Windows, then ran the backup.

Disk images, restore the whole OS and apps, and can be done with in mere minutes these days.
    For those not using backup apps. It would be the same as driving a vehicle without a spare tire, sure, lots do it, but when you need it your going to wish you had it.

Yes, more people do not backup than those who do.