Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    maxidrom11

I have noticed that everytime I use Gordian Knot to convert a DVD film into Divx and select to fit 1 CD (700MB) - the final divx film is always around 10MB more. Now I got a dozen divx films between 710-720MB and none of them can fit on a CD. Is it because of the mp3 audio being added ontop of the 700MB film? I don't think so.

Anyway, what's the best way to downsize these over-large divx files? do I have to decode and re-encode them again? using gordian knot? what's the fastest way to fix this cd burning problem?

you can actually burn more than 700mb on a cd by overburning if your recorder supports it some media you can squeeze an extra 20mb on but depends on the recorder and the media., an app i seem to remember called burn to the brim i think was what most used. why burn to cdr at all,most copies of dvd movies on cdr are such crap quality that they border on being unwatchable, buy yourself a dvd recorder if you want to backup your movies the price of discs is falling rapidly and dvd blanks are not a vast amount more expensive than cdr.

Super Moderator

Is not DivX just the video codec and not the audio, so it is very possible that the extra is coming from the mp3. Also, the filesystem your using might report a smaller or larger filesize that what the file actually is, due to wasted cluster counts. I've since this occur alot when i had FAT formatted partition and was trying to burn to DVD, so I've since switched to XFS.

Switch to OGM or XVID or use a lower bitrate on the audio.
    There is no really need use 192kbps or higher with the mp3, since you're already downgrading the movie.
    Ogg might work better.
    Try besweet or look on a dedicate forum for video codecs, such as dooms.
    They should have more tips and tricks and users who do this stuff on a daily basis.

As straight_talker mentions, you might want to consider going to DVD, The recorders handle both, CD and DVD, the blanks are cheap enough, around $1.00 a disk. Then you would not need to worry so much about fitting 710megs onto a CD. As the DVD is 4.7Gigs with the Dual-layer drives offering up to 9.1GB per disk

Beta

Originally posted by straight talker@Dec 18 2004, 10:55 PM
    buy yourself a dvd recorder if you want to backup your movies the price of discs is falling rapidly and dvd blanks are not a vast amount more expensive than cdr.
    The trouble is though ST that there aren't many options for backing up DVD movies. 321 DVD X copy were forced to remove this function in there software by the courts.

Super Moderator

You don't need those titles to backup DivX to a DVD. You can use Nero.
    Coping a DVD movie is not hard and does not require anything really special. There is a post on this site already which has all the tools necessary. Most are free, if not all of them.

Backing-up your Purchased copyrighted DVD, although illegal - since you must bypass the encryption, is not hard to do.
    Backing up home made DVD's also is simple, just use Nero or ProDVDtools.

Originally posted by Jaime Andrés+Dec 18 2004, 06:45 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jaime Andrés @ Dec 18 2004, 06:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--straight talker@Dec 18 2004, 10:55 PM
    buy yourself a dvd recorder if you want to backup your movies the price of discs is falling rapidly and dvd blanks are not a vast amount more expensive than cdr.
    The trouble is though ST that there aren&#39;t many options for backing up DVD movies. 321 DVD X copy were forced to remove this function in there software by the courts. [/b][/quote]
    i personally use http://www.dvdtodivx.net/ to make backups of films for the young brothers and sisters since they dont mind the film split between 2 discs and the quality is real good and if they damage one i can just burn another one for virtually nothing. i originally used ashampoo movie shrink and burn,see here http://www.soft32.com/download_16626.html but cutting it down below 700mb i thought the quality very poor, i would suggest if the posters burner is compatible to check out www.ebay.com for different media as bulkpaq now make 90mins 789mb cdr and 100mins 900mb cdr which would solve his problem outright.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by straight talker@Dec 19 2004, 07:16 PM
    as bulkpaq now make 90mins 789mb cdr and 100mins 900mb cdr which would solve his problem outright.
    Though the media may be 900megs, not all burners will be able to use the extra 100/200 megs. Plus, even if one burner can, another may not be able to read them.

Plextor, made a CD Recorder which would use regular CD&#39;Rs but squeeze 1GB per CD. This is the case of &#39;alittle too late&#39; to become important. Since the DVD&#39;s are affordable.

Originally posted by locustfurnace@Dec 19 2004, 07:45 PM
    This is the case of &#39;alittle too late&#39; to become important. Since the DVD&#39;s are affordable.
    so so true but price is such a deciding factor in this world we live in dvd discs are easily affordable but this also means that the price of cdrs is dropping even lower and people will sacrifice quality and ease just to make a small saving and save themselves the price of a dvd burner

maxidrom11

What is DivX?