Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mary Lou

Am running IE6 and I am having problems when I type in a web address or click on a web address from the favourites I receive the following message:

Page Cannot Be Displayed

I contacted my ISP who had no idea how to fix the problem, the problem occurs every now and then.

Super Moderator

The page is likely to have been removed. or the link to the address is no longer valid. Links to sites are alive one day, gone another.

ie 6 is rubbish it can be what locust says but it can also be ie6 just being a pain i now use slim browser 4.04 its faster more stable and i havent had any errors since using it ie 6 was fine until i took some of the updates and it was no more good after that. found myself that if i had that error i could shut down ie the reopen it and it load the same page no probs which made me try an alternative browser and im sure pleased i did.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Guest@Mar 1 2005, 04:05 PM
    i now use slim browser 4.04 its faster more stable
    Slimbrowser is a wrapper which uses the components of IE. It is more of a face-lift for IE and not a replacement browser. But it does work good.

Hello my friend,please make sure 'WORK OFFLINE' is UNCHECKED under the "file" menu........If its checked,you wont connect to anything...

Good Luck

Mary Lou

Yes, I checked my Work Offline box and is unticked, this problem has only just occurred in the last 2-3 days, before that I had no problem opening websites and from favourites also. The problem still occurring and my ISP advised me that what Locustfurnace advised in his reply dated March 1st would not be correct. Can someone please help??

Super Moderator

Your ISP said, that pages do not disappear from the Internet? Maybe the tech who is working for the ISP has not been using the Internet for very long. Pages do in fact get removed from the Internet all the time.
    Are you using this same computer, to post these messages?
    Are you running a firewall or proxy?
    Also, many pages on hosts are not able to be displayed, do to the host being offline.
    If you want, check your hosts file, and remove any entries that are not identified with "localhost"

Mary Lou

Where does one find the hosts file?
    I've been using this computer for 7 years and have only just started having this problem.

Super Moderator

host file is located in the C:\Windows
    the only entry you want in there is

127.0.0.1 localhost

all others can be removed - unless you manually added others.

Why not drop that link for that site, which is giving you the error. Can see if the page is online or offline. try to narrow down the problem by eliminating potential hangups

Also, have you run any spyware checkers? Many spyware apps will change your host file, adding entrys into it also.
    Did you recently do an upgrade to the system, which was prior to the current error
    Are you accessing this site from that same computer?

just install mozilla and problem solved dont chase rubbish let the internet explorer go to the trash can lets face it microsoft dont use it they use mozilla says it all really