Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

JuStAnOtHeRnAmE

Whenever I try to open an image for editing, Paint says it cannot read the file, because its format is not currently supported, or it is not a valid bitmap file.

Most of my pictures I've taken with my digital camera, and they are saved from the camera to my computer in .jpeg format. I used to be able to edit them without any problems at all, but not anymore.

Other pictures I save from the internet will let me edit them in Paint, and they are also in .jpeg format, the same one. So what's the difference in the ones from my camera? I'm just wondering what it would be, and I would definitely appreciate any help, even if it's a link to another program with features similiar to Paint.

Super Moderator

http://www.xnview.com/

May allow you to open your images and save them in a format which is supported under paint. If looking for a good editor, try the freeware editor The Gimp

As for the reason why it does not open, I am not sure. I never did open a jpeg in MS Paint, not believed it would work. As MS Paint is a bitmap editor. Are you sure you did not have another program which you used to open them or that they were saved as a bmp?
    It's possible, if MS Paint can handle jpegs, that the ones your trying to open could be a progressive jpeg format.
    Searching the board will reveal many good graphics apps, many freeware versions and shareware version of several popular programs.