Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator

Originally posted by Guest@Mar 2 2005, 09:40 AM
    just install mozilla and problem solved
    That would be a good solution, if not for the fact that so many crucial websites, ie. Banking Institutions, require the use of IE. This is poor design on their part, but nonetheless, it happens.
    Yes, one can do some UserAgent switching, but this is not always understandable by many.
    Solving the OP's issues shouldn't be to difficult, once more information is supplied by the OP

Hmmmmm,thats wierd locust!!!

I have 5 entries in my "host" file....I added AIM of course,but the other 4 are:

127.0.0.1 js1.hitbox.com
    127.0.0.1 stats.hitbox.com
    127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
    127.0.0.1 localhost

I DID NOT ADD THE$E 3 IN!!!

And what would happen if i removed localhost??? Anything??

Im not gonna remove these i dont think,i dunno.......

Whadda think Locust??

Some ad blocking/privacy software uses the hosts file to block certain URLs by diverting them to localhost. Most of those entries look like thay may be left over from something like that.

Is that a possibility?

Super Moderator

You can remove them, but, as-is, they will block connections to those sites. Could have been installed from spyware blockers, as mentioned by Pete

mary lou

[QUOTE]

I have no idea what you are referring to, what is it I am supposed to be looking for, what do I key in to find what I am looking for??

mary lou

host file is located in the C:\Windows
    the only entry you want in there is

127.0.0.1 localhost

all others can be removed - unless you manually added others.

Why not drop that link for that site, which is giving you the error. Can see if the page is online or offline. try to narrow down the problem by eliminating potential hangups

Also, have you run any spyware checkers? Many spyware apps will change your host file, adding entrys into it also.
    Did you recently do an upgrade to the system, which was prior to the current error
    Are you accessing this site from that same computer?
    ==================================================

Referring to your reply, I have no idea what you are referring to, what am I supposed to be looking for etc etc?????????

aladdinnas

who is ur isp?

aladdinnas

if ur internet still works
    go here http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
    and download Firefox 1.0.1 for Windows, English (4.7MB)

sourjacks

This issue sounds very similar to a problem I had recently. I decided to install the remaining Windows Update for my system. I was putting it off because I knew it was a large download. In the update my IE was upgraded to Version 6. Immediately after installing the update, I was not able to view certain webpages. After some research, I found that it had to do with the Cipher Strength of the browser. Indeed I found that I now had a "0-Bit Cipher Strength" whereas before the update I knew that I had 128-bit. Instead of trying to resolve this newly created problem, I used my disk-revert program to take my 5 year-old system back to its previous state before installing the update. Problem gone. I would highly recommend checking out the following link for more information. Hope it helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...;261328&sd=tech