Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clock

Yes my computer lo$es time alot......

Thanfully i have MyIE2 which automatically corrects the time every 1 min. (Sync with atmoic time)

Ah well......How could a LOW BATTERY cause your clock to lose time WHEN THE COMPUTER IS ON AND POWERED UP?

Super Moderator

I've seen dozens of systems lose time and many more that were being overclocked, lose as much as 1 minute per 10 minutes.
    This again goes back to the hardware interrupts, as mentioned above.
    The battery is for keeping the CMOS charged. Which retains the BIOS state. If the battery is low, it will still power the clock, without losing time, if it is dead, thats another story.

Stank_chair

Older systems, old systems from our long lost past (pre 286 days) were the problem. mainly with institutions (and of course the goverment) with the powerfull systems we have today -drifting is not a common occurance. but these time sync programs are still quite a neat little novelty to have none the less..

guest_heather

[QUOTE][COLOR=red]
    What your saying is if the battery is not replaced, the motherboard will fail, then what happens if it does, do I need a new battery for the clock and a new battery for the motherboard or is there only 1 battery.

Originally posted by guest_heather@Mar 26 2005, 03:23 AM
    What your saying is if the battery is not replaced, the motherboard will fail, then what happens if it does, do I need a new battery for the clock and a new battery for the motherboard or is there only 1 battery.
    If the battery fails, or you leave it out too long while changing it, you'll lose your BIOS. On some computers reloading them is a simple proceedure, on others it can be a little complicated. I'd suggest checking the settings and writing them down, just in case you're not using the default.

Most computers only have one battery. Sometimes they can be a little hard to find if you're not familiar with the inside of your machine.

EXTREME WORST CASE: If an old battery starts leaking, corrosives could damage the motherboard beyond repair. This happened to me once on an old 486 DX.

Please note locustfurnace's comment about possible other reasons for clock errors. Also note his doubt that a battery that is still saving the BIOS would be unable to run the clock. However if your machine is always "ON" , the battery could be nearly dead and you won't lose the BIOS until you turn it off or have a power failure.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Stank_chair@Mar 25 2005, 09:18 AM
    Older systems, old systems from our long lost past (pre 286 days) were the problem. mainly with institutions (and of course the goverment) with the powerfull systems we have today -drifting is not a common occurance. but these time sync programs are still quite a neat little novelty to have none the less..
    Novelty? That's why all universitys and government institutions use these today? Is that why OBSD is currently developing a secure NTPD? Correct timing is crucial for all machines which compile software. It is also crucial for those running and use CVS systems.
    No, its not a novelty, and besides older computers where made much more reliable, as they costed more - included better hardware, todays machine are dirt cheap, used OEM half equipped hardware, all-in-one controllers. All computer makers cut costs these days every way they can. Drift is more a problem today then in the past.
    Very important for those running Beowulfs and clustering solutions as well.

Originally posted by locustfurnace@Mar 26 2005, 10:22 AM
    ..... and besides older computers where made much more reliable, as they costed more - included better hardware, todays machine are dirt cheap, used OEM half equipped hardware, all-in-one controllers. .....
    Off Topic but...

How true;
    My old XT was practically bulletproof (still works).
    Price when new, over six grand.

I don't know if it's still true, but I understand that NASA was buying old 8088 processors for use in outside the atmosphere where radiation is a problem.

I notice my clock is set to 66Mhz in BIOS....

What if i change it to a lower frequency???? Or a higher one??? (Theres several freq's listed 4 it)

Ah well.........

Originally posted by The Dude@Mar 27 2005, 03:02 AM
    I notice my clock is set to 66Mhz in BIOS....

What if i change it to a lower frequency???? Or a higher one??? (Theres several freq's listed 4 it)

Ah well.........
    that is nothing to do with the time clock dude, if you dont know anything about these settings leave well alone

guest_heather

where is the battery located for the clock and how do i replace same