Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clock

Super Moderator

The battery will be located on the motherboard. Open the computers case, look for a round flat shiny battery, much like a watch battery but larger.
    If you do not see one, depending on the motherboard maker, you may have a solid state battery, which can not be replaced (but should never fail either).

Originally posted by locustfurnace@Mar 26 2005, 10:22 AM

besides older computers where made much more reliable, as they costed more - included better hardware, todays machine are dirt cheap, used OEM half equipped hardware, all-in-one controllers. All computer makers cut costs these days every way they can. Drift is more a problem today then in the past.
    yeah you reckon, it would not be anything to do with competition, the biggest factor in any electronic item is supply and demand,when you bought them systems as expensive as they were that was mainly because they were selling relatively small amounts of them, the price drop came due to mass production and sales not because of anything else as you are suggesting, vcr dvd tv and everything has done the same,its not cutting corners that does the price drops its mass productionand the number of companies fighting to keep the most sales,manufacturing costs have also dropped considerably on the components due to the same reasons

Super Moderator

Lets see, Today, if one is fortunate, a hard drive may live past 3 years. Maxtor drives dont not last very long. They are cheap yet offer a short live. I have several CONNER drives, which are 12+ years old and still work. All the modern day IDE hard drives I've owned have been cashed in.

If one wants a good quality ethernet card, you must spend a few for quality.
    Consider that most modems are HCL (Winmodems, softmodems), the older, actually contained their own controller chips. This makes them perform better than a HCL modem. If you want a good modem, then you should buy an external or an older one.

Today's keyboards are lightweight junk. I have a dozen or more older keyboards, some which weigh a good hefty amount. Some have removeable cables, to replace if the cable goes bad. Some of my older ones offer F keysupwards to F22.

Todays computer cases are made of extremely thin tin.

Many soundcards and video cards lack a MIDI port, but these can be found on most older cards.

Todays CRT's, though cheap dont have all the features of older monitors, such as my current Syncmaster, which offers BNC or D-Sub connections as well the flexibility to used on either PC or Mac.

Caddyless CD-ROMS are all that is offered today, but the caddy systems would have offered faster speeds sooner, plus offered the protection missing from drives today. I've a few old SCSI CD-ROM drives which offer caddy systems. I do not need to swap CD's, just the caddy. Thus keeps the disk clean from fingerprints.

Lets consider my old SGI machines, made in 1992, has installed 4 video cards for various graphic rendering. The CPU is 64bit, yes, 64bit back in 1992. Todays x86 is finally embracing the 64bit architecture. It offers 4 PS/2 ports, Virtual Reality glasses.

My 7200/120, from 1995, built in ethernet, auto ejecting Floppy drive. buil-in sound card. The Quadra 630 I have is simple to remove the "motherboard", which is the chasis, just pop a latch and slide the chasis out, slide a new system in its place. Simple system upgrade.

Then again, the last few machines are not PC's.

many hard drives give up due to premature failure from heat, not because they are cheap and not made as good, if you use ide drives then you may want to add a hard drive cooler all mine run with coolers and i have drives near 4 years old and without a hitch,perhaps your old drives do still work but then heat wasnt a problem until PERFORMENCE started taking over these old days just dont perform the same as new drives due to them being a lot slower.i have used both old very old and new modems and there really isnt much difference although i do agree external modems perform better. keyboards are now far better then the older ones and keys upwards toward f22 for the most part are of no use to the average pc user my current keyboard i am typing this on is near 5 years old and as good as new ( lightweight junk ?) it does at least 6 hours a day of work 4 days a week so its had some hammer lightweight junk i think not. todays computer cases are made of thin tin ? a good job they are this helps them lose heat much faster than the old cases that bust your back, no point in them being thicker and heavier it only adds to the cost of manufacture and transporting and besides we dont really need to stand on the top of a tower to hang pictures we use step ladders nowadays, and as far as monitors go the masses who buy them usually just buy a pc package and have no need for all the other connections which the older monitors have and apart from that most have not even heard of a mac or regard them as rubbish from days gone by.

Super Moderator

5 year old keyboard? That belongs in the above "lightweight junk" category. Most of the keyboards I am referring to, that I am using right now, are from 1992 and earlier.
    Having a keyboard that offers F22 keys, is very useful to someone who know how to re-program the keys - simple to do. I have macro's to these keys which work in certain programs, such as vi. Instead of typing out long combos of scripts. I just macro it to certain keys.

As for Apple Mac's being junk? That mentality is due to the ignorance of the PC user. As the PC user believes from the marketing hype, that 'Mega/Gigahertz' is the only thing important aspect of the system. Today, they are finally learning that clock cycles is not as important as once lead to believe.
    I have a m68k 33mhz Mac, that can still play quicktime movies, cant do that on a 33Mhz PC. Even the mac I have from the 80's offer a SuperDisk, which is a floppy drive which auto ejects, PC floppys still require user intervention to eject a floppy today. Sure, this is nothing Special, but... PC's still do not do this.
    Networking these old systems from the early 90's and late 80's is simple also. Since the OS has AppleTalk built in. Infact, The cabling used in the net talk system can be regular phone line.
    Seeing that the 7200/80av I have has 4 video ports, 2 being S/Video. Yes, thats real junk. So much so that today, you still need to buy a card that offers S/video. I did mention this system was from 1993?
    The older MAC's used SCSI, not IDE. Which older PC's, did not have the higher performance offered by these SCSI drives.
    Todays G5's offer Dual 64bit CPU's. A Unix core OS.

Since this has gone off-topic, this will be my last reply to this.

me too remembering that this is a windows forum and a lot of stuff you speak about is not such