Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Help Me!

hockeyman16

I know that this isn't a Windows help forum, but I am in desparate need of help!

Last night, I was on my Windows XP computer and I was browsing around in some of the Administrator Tools and I ran across this tool that showed how my hard disk was split up. It showed a 9.22 GB primary partition (my only partition) and a 141 MB spot of unallocated disk space.

I decided to take the 141 MB and convert it into a new partition so I can use it for extra storage, primarily a separate space for my program development. After I followed the wizard, I was prompted to restart my computer. When I did so, I got past the BIOS splash screen and got this error:

Windowds can not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <WINDOWS ROOT>&#092;SYSTEM32&#092;HAL.DLL
    Please re-install a copy of the file above

I can not boot into safe mode or any of the boot options. I can get to a DOS prompt using my XP CD, and I even backed up the old HAL.DLL (which was there) and expanded a new copy off of the XP CD, only to be greeted by the same message.

Please, somebody, help me. I do not want to have to re-install Windows. If so, I am downgrading. I am fed up with XP, but I will only do so as a last resort.

Louie C.

Hi hockeyman16, well i hope this might help. But it seems that u have to reinstall your xp again. But u don&#39;t have to format your hdd for this. Just reinstall it again. That should solve the problem. So u won&#39;t loose any of your data or programs.

hockeyman16

I found a way to fix it. I just have one more question...why all of a sudden do I have an unformatted disk drive as well as my regular &#39;C:&#39; drive?

Louie C. B)

mokopuna

Is the other partition NFTS or DOS? Did you install XP through an earlier version of Windows?
    Try these links.
    http://perso.club-internet.fr/guiboure/en/...ndex_frame.html
    http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm

hockeyman16

The new partition (E is unformatted. The properties show drive (C as NTFS (which it is) and drive (E as RAW, and I cannot access it unless I format it.

I may have said this before, but last night, I was browsing and I saw that there was 141 MB of unallocated space and I wanted to use it. When I tried to get it as a separate partition, that&#39;s when the problem began. Now that it is fixed, I don&#39;t know if I want to do anything with it, since I am afraid that I may start something again.

Also...it is a notebook computer, but ever since I fixed it, it thinks it&#39;s a regular desktop computer.

Louie C. B)