Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

spunkholie

This is the deal....I was using adaptec easy cd creator to save my digital pic's to cd-r's. I left the cd's in writable format so I could add pictures as I took them. My computer died!!! I know have another that won't run e cd cr. Seeing how I have deleted the pics from my camera is there anyway at all to recover them from the cd's??? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated seeing how some of those pics were once in a lifetime shots.

thanks much,
    spunkholie

any cd drive should be able to read the disks onless you burnt them in a certain format that needs a program to read them , if you just burnt them in standard format it doesnt matter if the disc was left open as it would only be the unused prtion of the disc that was left open, the files that you already had put on it would be in a closed session,if all else fails try a data recovery software many have been listed recently that may help you do this.

Try a bootable "live" version of Linux (knoppix or mepis are good), They might let you read the CD if you force it to mount. It might read it right off the bat. Good luck!

spunkholie

Thanks for the replies. I'm not really sure what format they were burnt in but I do know when I put them in my drive they appear as blank. I know there's info on them, I put it there myself.
    Everything else appears greek to me. I'm not that computer literate so I'm not really sure what a "bootable Live" version of something might be. I hate to sound so needy but if someone could break down the steps for me a little better that would be great.

Thanks again,

Spunk

why will your new pc not run easy cd creator ? adaptec was taken over by roxio but i can read adaptec created discs with the easy cd creator 5 platinum by roxio. were they created as multissession cds ? if they were then as already said by another guests the pics you have already put on should be in a closed session and readable by your cd drive. have you tried putting in one the discs and trying to explore it through my computer? if anything shows on the disc right click on a file and select open with image preview.another option you may try is using nero and trying to add to the disc which usually brings up any files that are already on it, and finally it may sound dumb asking but have you looked at these pics before ? i mean after you put them on the disc,i have known lots of people with similar problems that turned out to be a bad burn in the first place and nothing was actually ever written on the disc.

spunkholie

someone said before that xp won't run adaptec easy cd creator....i'm not sure if it will or not i don't have the disk. someone loaned me the burner and put the program on my pc. he's since lost the cd so i couldn't put it on my new comp even if it would run it. if memory serves me correct i just created the cd's as disks to store data, i'm not really sure what mutisession cd are. i've used my computer, nero, and a couple of other thing to try and look onto them with no luck. always looks as if they've never been formated. when they first come up it's as if they've never been burnt on and the comp asks what kind of cd i'd like to create. and yes i have seen and even showed the pics to family and friends. i just always left the disk in writeable format so i could put more on them instead of the other option which was making them readable in any cd-rom drive. I do appreciate everyones help and time. i just hope someone has a working solution.

thanks again all,

spunk

Super Moderator

The CD's file format is ISO9660, this is the CD standard. Now, there are file system extensions, such as Juliet, Romeo, RockRidge, which the CD can also contain.
    Its likely you recorded the CD under Juliet, seeing that you used a Microsoft OS.
    If the disk is not being read, are you sure the CD hardware in the current system is capable of reading CD-R/RW media? Older CD-Rom drives could not read the disks.
    Make sure to check that it can read a CD-R/RW.
    If it can, then you should try to Finalize the disk.

Otherwise, try this program

Unstoppable Copier
    Recovers files from disks with physical damage. Allows you to copy files from disks with problems such as bad sectors, scratches or that just give errors when reading data. The program will attempt to recover every readable piece of a file and put the pieces together. Using this method most types of files can be made useable even if some parts were not recoverable in the end.

Originally posted by spunkholie@Jun 20 2005, 05:19 AM
    This is the deal....I was using adaptec easy cd creator to save my digital pic's to cd-r's. I left the cd's in writable format so I could add pictures as I took them. My computer died!!! I know have another that won't run e cd cr. Seeing how I have deleted the pics from my camera is there anyway at all to recover them from the cd's??? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated seeing how some of those pics were once in a lifetime shots.

thanks much,
    spunkholie
    looking at your post i see it says cd-rs so i will presume you mean standard and not rewritable discs,if this is the case then you would of been adding to a multissession disc each time you put your pics on ,if this is the case then try the disc in a different pc to make sure it is not just an issue with the cd rom drive, as you mentioned xp i presume it is a lot newer pc than you had before or perhaps brand new but that doesnt necessarily mean the cd rom works properly

Release Candiate 2

Try here. CD/CVD diagnostic is what you need. Only $19.95

http://www.infinadyne.com/

Release Candiate 2

Sorry wrong price on the sofware. Correct price is $49.95. A bit much for your needs. Feel free to email me about an older version of this program under a different name.