Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Onehappygunner

Win98se,
    Need to format the hard drive but the 'start in ms-dos' prompt is no longer in the shut down options ( dont ask me why, i dont know, its just gone....maybe its on holiday in Teneriffe or something), tried the 'Hold Ctrl button' whilst on boot up but all that gives me is a keyboard error. so now im lost....anyone help me to get to the dos screen?? Before win98 meets the buisness end of my Wilson 9 iron.

Don't you have a "boot disk" on a floppy?

If not:
    • Start

Run

format c:

OK

Super Moderator

In addition, to add the DOS system to the newly formatted drive, you can install the DOS system when you format, using the Format switches
    format /S c: - which formats and leaves the sys on the drive
    format /U - eliminates any options to unformat the drive, also known as Unconditional format.
    format /v:LABEL will add the LABEL name to the drive, which means it will name the formatted drive, so one could use format /v:WIndows98

You can also use a combination of the above switches, such as
    format /v:WIndows98 /S /U c:

If you do not add the system files during the format, you can always add them later from the floppy, when at the A: prompt, issue
    sys c:

Onehappygunner

Thank you very much for the help kind people... i can now put the golf club away
    I downloaded a litlle freeware app called Ultimate Boot Disc, that got the job done, but thanks for the info anyway.