Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

struggler

i have a new pc which is 256 mb ram a 80 gb hard drive and a 1.6 gb processor yet when i try to do a backup copy of a dvd it gets about halfway through and stops and reports that i do not have enough memory to perform this operation ,the program im using is nero, as the pc only has one drive would the problem be because the temperary file space limit is too small ? as it must save to hard disk and then burn to dvd disc after wards any help to get this sorted would be much appreciated the os im using is windows xp home. if it the temperary file size limit then how do i increase it ?

Super Moderator

Which filesystem are you using? FAT32 or NTFS? As FAT32 has a single large file limit of 4gigs. But I have had issues going beyond a single 2 gig file on FAT32.
    Why not rip the DVD as an ISO image, store on the hard drive, then burn a DVD from the ISO.
    Remember that some DVD's can be as large as 9gigs and more.

Originally posted by locustfurnace@May 21 2005, 10:06 PM
    Which filesystem are you using? FAT32 or NTFS? As FAT32 has a single large file limit of 4gigs. But I have had issues going beyond a single 2 gig file on FAT32.
    Why not rip the DVD as an ISO image, store on the hard drive, then burn a DVD from the ISO.
    Remember that some DVD's can be as large as 9gigs and more.
    if only i knew how i would try it ? can this be done with nero or do i need another program

Super Moderator

Nero should be able to copy the dvd to an ISO. But if the ISO is larer than 4.7(4.5)gigs, you won't be fitting it on a blank DVD, unless you're burning to a Dual-Layer DVD.
    I have not used Nero in years, so not sure exactly the steps involved, but it should be something similar to Copy DVD, or COPY as Image (ISO).

I had the same problem using xp and the new file system. I had plenty of disk space according to my m/b software but it wasn't really there.Use disk cleanup to check and free up space,I had 17 GB of garbage in temporary files!
    asus a7n266vm,40 Gig Maxtor,256 Crucuial,dvd decrypter and nero.

dedalus

Well all options are valid, but maybe your memory is damage, because I ccopy DVD's witn a PII at 700 mhz, 128 mb of ram and 10gb hard disk.
    If that don't works use a freeram software.

Originally posted by robo@Jun 17 2005, 10:09 AM
    Well all options are valid, but maybe your memory is damage, because I ccopy DVD's witn a PII at 700 mhz, 128 mb of ram and 10gb hard disk.
    If that don't works use a freeram software.
    can you let us know the software and methods you use ? to do the copies i just wanna back up some expensive discs that the children use to save the originals getting scratched

PoomoN

I use DVD Shrink to reduce the size of DVD9 movies down to DVD5 because DL discs are still so expensive. It doesn't matter if you use FAT32 or NFTS. Just search on like yahoo or something and you should be able to find it. To burn the file I use DVD_Decrypter. They are both free to download or you can make donations. Just be sure you go to preferences on DVD Shrink and under the "FILE I/O" tab you have to turn off the option that says "enable burning with nero" unless of course you have nero and want to use that instead. Then when you go to shrink the movie it will have an option that says select backup target set it to "ISO image file and burn with DVD Decrypter" or just iso image file to back it up and burn it later with Decrypter. Decrypter used to have a forum but I haven't been able to log onto their website in months. ???? Maybe copyright issues shut them down. Who knows.