Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

expert01

Default Acer Computer Explorer [Win 3.x]

Originally posted by Description+--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Description)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>The Acer Computer Explorer (ACE Desktop) is a Windows shell made by Medius IV (http://www.medius-iv.com/) for Acer Computer Corporation. It was released only for Acer Aspire machines, with a primitive Windows 3.1 (version 1.x) and a Windows 9x version (up to version 4.01). The Windows 9x version features several folders on the left side of the screen, each of which opens in the main part of the window with many different program icons. This program runs in full screen mode, hiding novice users from the main Windows 95 interface. It also has an install feature similar to the Add Programs wizard for Win95, but with the addition of specific applications for the Aspire computer it was installed on. It comes with five themes: Fusion, Sandstone, Metallic, Photoreal, and Cartoon. The default style is Cartoon. It has built-in support for multiple users in Windows 95, as well as restricted access for certain users. The shell was used on most Acer Aspire systems sold through 1997.

The actual desktop consists of a vertical folder bar on the left side of the screen, a central desktop, and a menu to the upper-right of the screen (with the following options: Exit, Minimize, Help, Options, and Install). The desktop will dislay 6 folders per page at 640x480, 8 folders per page at 800x600, 10 folders per page at 1024x768, 12 folders per page at 1152x864 (there is no limit to resolution); the folders can have custom graphics and titles. The desktop displays icons (like the normal Windows desktop), with the addition that it also has two pages. The maximum number of buttons for both pages are: 40@640; 70@800; 134@1024. The entire program does not minimize (unless a Minimize All command is used). The program runs in place of the desktop background. It is skinnable, but each skin involves much graphics editing and would need a registry patch.

This program also comes with a screensaver. The screensaver will display user selected pictures on the screen in 2 rows of 3 (at a time).

Known bugs under Windows XP: If you add icons to the desktop it will delete some icons, freeze, and not allow you to move to another folder. This problem does not exist in compatibility mode (Windows 95 mode, no themes, no advanced text services). Also, the program will not cover the taskbar (best to set taskbar to background and minimise).

An interesting tidbit that I read but never experienced: "apparantly, Acer built into their ACE software a Wizard, or a Deamon type program that handled the Interrupt generated by a General Protection Fault, and especially the Blue Screen of Death&#33;&#33; A message would appear, informing of the problem, and an Amber colored Arrow would slowly move accross the taskbar from Right to Left, approaching the Start Button but bouncing off of it three or four times&#33;&#33;&#33; The whole thing lasted no more than 20 seconds. But, and here is the neat part, the system DID NOT FREEZE, and you didn&#39;t have to touch the Start Button...just do the EXACT same thing that caused the Blue Screen of Death and Voila&#33;, no BSD, just continue processing&#33;&#33;&#33; In other words, Acer implemented a Operating System Supervisory Program that repaired Windows on THE FLY&#33;&#33;&#33;"[/b]

Originally posted by Screenshots+--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Screenshots)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>http://img225.exs.cx/gal.php?g=aceaddfolder5qs.jpg ACE Desktop Gallery
    Screenshots Archive
    [/b]

<!--QuoteBegin--Sources
    @
    http://www.medius-iv.com/whatwedo/P_DR_IP_Acer.html
    http://www.medius-iv.com/news/wsj.htm
    http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1078646/posts
    [/quote]

<!--QuoteBegin--Downloads

Acer Computer Explorer 1.1 Windows 3.x
    Acer Computer Explorer 2.0
    Acer Computer Explorer 3.0
    Acer Copmuter Explorer 4.01
    [/quote]

Super Moderator

Please do not use the "Report a Post" for anything other than reporting abusive or illegal content contained in posts.
    This post was moved here, as it does not belong in the Programs section. Yes, it does not really fit in under the Request board either. The topic for the Programs section is defined as Discuss any software listed on OldVersion.com. This software program is not hosted under Oldversion&#39;s software listings, so it does not belong under that board. I&#39;ve considered moving it to the General Board

Default Acer Computer Explorer 1.1 for windows 3.1

Hello, I have seen an old topic here that shows the Acer Computer Explorer, but the download links are dead, so I am in need for Acer Computer Explorer 1.1 Windows 3.x. I used to have it with my Acer CPR disk with my old PC, but I lost it a very long time ago, and I am in need of it to put on my windows 3.1 machine and windows 3.1 on Virtual PC on here. All help will be greatly appriciated.