Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: W98 And W98se

Muffy

Does anyone know if Microsoft had suspended updates for W98 and W98SE?

Administrator
    simply me

Muffy

Thanku for your reply, however, there is nothing on this website that states that Microsoft no longer supports W98 or W98se updates and critical updates?

Administrator

when you go to the site click on the bottom two questions and read the boxes that open,one from the bottom clearly says
    Archive Content (no new updates) above the the windows 98 and the nt4 workstation.
    simply me

I just reformatted and reinstalled Windows 98 SE on my old pentium III last night. I visted the Windows Update website, and downloaded IE 6.0 SP1, and alot of other critical updates. So, I guess you can still get the updates, if they're needed on your computer.

Administrator

Originally posted by beanboy89@Aug 1 2005, 11:50 AM
    I just reformatted and reinstalled Windows 98 SE on my old pentium III last night. I visted the Windows Update website, and downloaded IE 6.0 SP1, and alot of other critical updates. So, I guess you can still get the updates, if they're needed on your computer.
    correct beanboy, i think what the info means is you still get the updates but they are the ones already available no new ones will be released or developed.
    simply me

BarkerJr

It may say that, but they're still releasing new critical updates for 98. They stopped releasing non-critical ones.

Administrator

Originally posted by BarkerJr@Aug 1 2005, 09:42 PM
    It may say that, but they're still releasing new critical updates for 98. They stopped releasing non-critical ones.
    a good point berker jr but not officially, microsoft actually did at one point pull all support and said w98 and win me would be no longer supported, little did they realise the aggro it would cause them so they changed their mind and carried on support for a while longer, they actually state now that no new updates will be available and then if they bring one out its a bonus and looks good on them as if they are looking after their old customers,whereas if they carried on with normal support and updates then it would be just what was expected,but this doesnt mean all things will be covered, as always with microsoft it is only as they wish and never mind the customer..
    simply me