Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: EndNote

GuidedByNB

Default EndNote

Personally, I love oldversion, its helped me get DirectX, Adobe, and Winamp, all for my lovely P166 Laptop! However, Im a researcher, and I do the occasional paper. While its not NECCESSARY, it would be nice to have older versions of EndNote available (especially the versions 5 and 6). Demo's existed for both these, and would be wonderful to snag them to see how well it works for me. I wonder how many else would find use form this too.

Program Name: Endnote
    Current version: 9.0
    Desired versions: 5.0, 6.0
    Description: A reference manager for Microsoft Word
    Last edited by GuidedByNB; 08-17-2005 at 01:10 PM.

Super Moderator

This is an excellent post. This, for me, is the reason we stress filling out all the necessary info. Incase a user comes across a posting, finds interest, and inquires about said program on the website posted.

Although I do not do research papers, I do use a typesetting language structure for writing technical books, websites and novels. The system is called TeX, making heavy use of LaTeX. One of the systems used when writing TeX documents is called BibTeX, which is used for writing bibliographys.

Now the tie-in to your posting is I found a link which explains how to use EndNotes with BibTeX.
    Since TeX, LaTeX is the de facto in scientific papers, this would sure making writing out BibTeX alot simpler.
    The only draw back is I write all my TeX, LaTeX, SGML, DOCBOOK documents on a UNIX system and this Endnotes is only for Windows, Mac OS.
    I just noticed that on the Endnotes website, under the support section there are several utilities for using BibTeX, LaTeX with Endnotes. Even a Endnote2LaTeX converter.

links removed.
    Last edited by locustfurnace; 08-19-2005 at 09:40 PM.

GuidedByNB

Thank you! Yes, I've a bit of LaTeX myself, and Im considering it as an alternative (and looks far more likely now, thank you again). Many of the HCI researchers here rely on Endnote (National Research Council of Canada has adopted Endnote for now), which was my main motivation for requesting this. I will give these a shot, and also see about Endnote to LaTeX conversion.

I'm pleased at the speedy reply, I had not expected something so quickly. Another reason oldversion.com is a true boon!

Cheers

Bernard

GuidedByNB

I think I should note that the versions posted appear to be full versions (though only Endnote 3 has a serial). While its disspointing, I think they should be removed to avoid abuse.

Cheers

Super Moderator

Thanks for informing about the status of the program. As I had stated, I did not test (install, run) the program, just checked on the version #'s.
    I don't have MS Windows installed on any machines currently, just BSD & Slackware, so installing found versions is not possible at the moment.
    I'll look around see if can find another demo version of above titles.

Super Moderator

Have you tried using the TeXLive-CD/DVD?
    It includes almost everything under CTAN pertaining to TeX.

Basically it's a collection of just about all related TeX tools, utilities, macros, style and font files which one might find useful when using TeX.
    The DVD is about 1.2gigs, it's a free download, free software. There is also a smaller installation system, which is about 500megs.
    Being a Live system, this means you do not need to install it, but you can mount the CD/DVD and run the system directly from the media.
    It will run on Windows, MacOS and UNIX.

It takes some of the pain out of installing some of these programs. If you ever tried setting up these on a UNIX system, you'll understand how this system is gold. Try installing fonts to your LateX is near impossible. It's doable, but sure isn't fun.

The only program so far I've noticed that is missing is related to JadeTeX.

Since I have a TeTex system installed on my Slackware-Linux box already, I don't need to use this system, but why I downloaded the 1.2gigs is so I can use some of these files that are missing on my system. As my default install lacks some of the style files and fonts.

I should also add, that the word processor -Abiword, which is also Free software, handles exporting to LaTeX, Docbook, HTML, DOC and about a hundred more other formats is a good application. I use it to convert Microsoft Word documents to plain text.
    Last edited by locustfurnace; 08-22-2005 at 10:08 AM.