Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Batty

I think it would be a neat effect if you let people "play around" with the Program Manager window interface on your website. Let it be utilized similar to the way the it is/was in Win3.1 (as your interface reflects. See DHTML Central.)

That way, you allow scrolling as your list of programs is becoming lenghty (Good job guys ) ! Not to mention, you can have fun minimizing it, moving it around, etc (I need to get out more . )

Lets hope if they do something like that they use ECMAScript and it works correctly.
    Much of the DHTML posted out there is really outdated, we're at Javascript 1.5 now people.

Actually an easy way to do that which works in the good browsers doesn't even require Javascript at all.
    CSS2 allows:
    position: fixed; overflow: scroll

That would at least fix its position in the window allow it to scroll just like a Win 3.1 window. However Win3.1 windows used Icons also.
    --
    | Ric

Release Candiate 1

Those are excellent ideas. We have thought about doing something like that. However, there are several problems associated with that. Unless you have the latest browser, it will not display properly or display at all. We like the site to be compatible with old versions.

- Igor

Ric Gates

That why I posted what I did.
    You can however "eat your cake and have it too". When I have some time I'll make a sample page and let you know. I always write "degradable" html, there are a significant number of people still using Lynx and other "dhtml impaired" browsers.
    Most of the ready made scripts out there do absolutely nothing when Javascript is off, which makes them impractical for menus. As you, igor, mentioned, may not display at all.
    <_<

Ric Gates

I just noticed this board uses a poor method of linking to the page top:
    <a href=&#39;javascript:scroll(0,0);&#39;>
    when it should be:
    <a href="#top" onClick="scrollTo(0,0);return false;">

I know it&#39;s not your fault, it just illustrates my point perfectly.

--
    | Ric

Teddy

Actually, the invision board people did that on purpose. There was a good reason for it, I just don&#39;t remember what it was

Ric Gates

The reason is because they didn&#39;t know how to do it right. Believe me, I know.
    If they&#39;re concerned about Javascript 1.0 errors you simply create a function.

--
    | Ric

Release Candiate 1

We did not create the board ourselves. We are just using Invision Board. Since the discussion board is an add-on to the web site and not the main part, we figured that this was the best way to go. To strip down a completed script is a hassle, but to create your own discussion board is a huge task.

Someday we would like to have the discussion board and the main web site be more in sync with each other. For now, the existing system is probably sufficient. I hope you agree.

- Igor

Beta

Originally posted by igor@Nov 24 2002, 05:31 PM
    For now, the existing system is probably sufficient. I hope you agree.

- Igor
    I agree.

Ric Gates

Originally posted by igor@Nov 24 2002, 05:31 PM
    We did not create the board ourselves. We are just using Invision Board.
    I did say "I know it&#39;s not your fault".
    I actually like this Invision Board, and the hot keys are cool.
    Ultimate BB is pretty good, but I don&#39;t like it&#39;s default icons: too XP-like and hard to decipher.

I don&#39;t get what h34r: is supposed to mean, a title attribute would be helpful - but now that&#39;s really off topic.

--
    | Ric