Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Andrés
    Original British game i.e. the inventors...... American bastardised version or the game.

Football .......... Soccer

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Andrés
    I think pfinlaw needs to research the roots of the games and look again at how they are played properly
    It's been documented that "Football" or "Soccer" originated by the Chinese military during the Han Dynasty - around the 2nd & 3rd centuries BC.
    Both the Greeks and ancient Romans played a soccer-type game which resembled modern soccer.

Now, lets make it so these 2 separate topics, merge slightly....

Tlachtli, was a game which was played from Honduras to Arizona as early as 500 B.C. Which is the origin of basketball, was started/played by the Aztec and other cultures of Latin America.

Tlachtli was played within a rectangular court and a hard heavy rubber ball was used. In the middle of the court hung a vertical stone or wooden ring "basket". The players used only their legs, hips or elbows to hit the ball. This game was considered sacred and was played in front of the elite. The losers of Tlachtli would be killed.

The Mayan or Inca culture played a form of soccor. Both of these games often used a human skull for a ball.

Beta

Thanks for that LF.

Original British game: Netball

USA version: Basketball

It's a good this is all lighthearted, I'm really not trying to wind anyone up

Quote Originally Posted by locustfurnace
    Tlachtli was played within a rectangular court and a hard heavy rubber ... The losers of Tlachtli would be killed.
    Both of these games often used a human skull for a ball.
    Now thats what I call a motivating factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by locustfurnace
    One thing most non-U.S. residents is that there are not many 6' 7" 350lb Rugby players. But there are ample in the American Football Leagues. The reason you Do want to wear protective gear.
    I would think thats due to the high salaries leeching players from other sports that dont allow hardened protection , except that inserted under the skin.

I'm waiting for the day when they motorise the sport to go with those helmets ;)