Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fantasy Football

Hi everyone, :-)

Are you as crazy about football as I am?

I'm looking for two fantasy football team owners to join my fantasy football league. I need to fill these spots before this Saturday -- our draft is 9/3 @ 8pm. Everything is handled online so it doesn't matter where you're from -- if you have an Internet connection you can play.

To learn more about the league please visit these two sites:

http://www.epop3.com/ffl/

and

http://tinyurl.com/93hkp

or e-mail me (pfinlaw@epop3.com) if you're interested.

Good luck to everyone this year!

Regards,

-Phil

Beta

Why do you refer to it as 'Football'.
    'Football' is a British game played by using the 'Feet'
    'Rugby football' is another British game where the ball can be picked up and run with.

I assume you are referring to the bastardised version of Rugby that is played in the United States, where forward passing is allowed

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Andrés
    Why do you refer to it as 'Football'.
    'Football' is a British game played by using the 'Feet'
    That's called Soccer. Which bred the van-driving mothers club terminology: "Soccer Mom"

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Andrés
    I assume you are referring to the bastardised version of Rugby that is played in the United States, where forward passing is allowed
    One thing most non-U.S. residents is that there are not many 6' 7" 350lb Rugby players. But there are ample in the American Football Leagues. The reason you Do want to wear protective gear.

Default Soccer is boring ....

I mean really who wants to just run and up down that big big field kicking the ball around? We're a tad more sophisticated here in the US. We actually have games that you have to THINK and GAMEPLAN before and during playing them. I mean really in soccer all you do is react. Now if soccer had play-action passes then it might be worth watching.

Beta

Soccer is the American term used for the British game of football.

Original British game i.e. the inventors...... American bastardised version or the game.

Football .......... Soccer
    Rugby football ........... Football
    Rounders .......... Baseball
    Cricket ........... Mercifully never adopted
    Golf ........ Untouched
    Tennis ........ Untouched
    Squash ........ Unsure

I'm not a fan of any of the above sports, however I'm sure that tactics and strategies are discussed (game plan). I think pfinlaw needs to research the roots of the games and look again at how they are played properly
    Last edited by Jaime Andrés; 08-25-2005 at 04:49 PM.

We're a tad more sophisticated here in the US.( pfinlaw you need a rethink )

is that why loads of the programs from the u.s that come on sky tv are about hospitals and trauma, you guys seem to spend a lot of time over there shooting each other

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by straight talker
    is that why loads of the programs from the u.s that come on sky tv are about hospitals and trauma, you guys seem to spend a lot of time over there shooting each other
    Ouch, thats not a good subject to bring up.
    There are about 75million gun owners in the USA, which hold roughly 250million guns. There are about 300 million US Citizens.
    Consider that there are about 20million Australians.
    There are about 60 million in the UK.
    46 million Columbians

Sure, there are some Americans who shoot each other. But compared to places such as Columbia - The worlds most dangerous place, Palestine, Israel, which have had many years of violence against each other. Ireland Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, Ireland, Lebanon and numerous places have car-bombings that are often.
    No one really talks about this, they just seem to focus on "Americans shooting each other"
    When there was the school shootings in the USA, which made world news, there was little if any news on the school shooting that happened in Africa.
    There is more genocide in other countrys, and recent as well, in places such as Somalia. Ethiopia, Croatia, than in the USA...

Not much was said bout the the cutting off of heads (in Arabic, qata al-raas) which has been the favorite form of Islamist execution for more than 14 centuries. Only more recently has this made news. But thats 14 centuries of barbary.

The main-stream news does not usually carry these (true) headlines:

"BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - A high school student opened fire in a classroom in southern Argentina, killing four classmates and wounding five Tuesday in Argentina's worst school rampage on record, police said."
    "A DERANGED final-year student expelled from his school returned yesterday to wreak a terrible vengeance, killing 17 people and then turning his gun on himself.
    Police spoke of scenes of horror inside the school in the east German city of Erfurt. where teachers were executed at point-blank range, in classrooms and even toilets."
    "Brandon Krog (29) was murdered on Friday the 13th of Feb 1998. Until this day nobody can say what truly happened that Friday the 13th (yes Friday the 13th). The best scenario we can figure out as to what happened that day is that after collecting wages from Standard Bank (Germiston) that Friday morning, Brandon was followed by hijackers back to his work at Leoscrap in Refinery Rd, Germiston, South Africa."
    "BAGHDAD -- July was a record month at Baghdad's main morgue, where the bodies pile up so fast they often have to be buried before they can be identified to make way for the next day's arrivals.

A total of 1,100 corpses were received in July, a sharp increase from the previous record of 879 in June, and far exceeding the morgue's 10-a-day capacity, according to its overworked director, Faed Bakr.

The figures exclude casualties from bombings, which are not taken for autopsy because the cause of death already is known. While car bombings and suicide attacks have garnered the most attention and have claimed thousands of lives in Iraq, shootings have accounted for thousands more civilian deaths since the fall of Saddam Hussein's regime.

At the morgue last month, more than 60 percent of the deaths--676, or more than 20 a day--came from shootings, in yet another indicator that overall violence in the world's most violent capital keeps getting worse, even as the U.S. military and the Iraqi government insist that the insurgency is being tamed."
    In Africa, 375 children under the age of 12 and 324 minors between 12 and 17 years of age were killed by guns in 2000 - an average 2 youngsters a day.

I've noticed that a lot of crime statistics exclude Africa from the listings.

According to 2003 stats,
    Murders with firearms:

1.) Africa - 0.71 per 1000 people
    2.) Columbia - 0.50 per 1000 people
    3.) Thailand - 0.30 per 1000 people
    4.) Zimbabwe - 0.04 per 1000 people
    5.) Mexico - 0.03 per 1000 people
    6.) Belarus - 0.03 per 1000 people
    7.) Costa Rica - 0.03 per 1000 people
    8.) USA - 0.02 per 1000 people

Murders per capita

1.) Columbia - 0.61 per 1000 people
    2.) South Africa - 0.49 per 1000 people
    5.) Russia - 0.20 per 1000 people
    24.) - USA - 0.04 per 1000 people

And note that Africa has a larger population than the US also.
    Africa total pop. 873,742,214
    USA total pop. 295,734,134

Most of the reasons the USA is considered "more violent" than any other country is all due to the amount of attention; focus on the USA. The USA has more media coverage, more eyes watching it, and more country's look to the USA.
    Since you mention TV shows showing violence, why is that, probably because the USA makes more tv shows, movies than Africa.
    Even though Bollywood makes more movies than Hollywood, the world see's more USA made movies.
    TV is not a true reflection of the life in the USA. Its just TV after all.

Beta

Good statistics good reading, (BTW LF Handguns are illegal in the UK) but hang on a minute, this all about Football, I' mean Rugby football or is it soccer

absolute compelling reading LF sorry about the OUCH it wasnt a dig more of a response to a comment, i have nothing against the us or you people i was even thinking of visiting and sight seeing over there as my uncle was over there a while back for a month and says it is absolutely great,if that comment offended anyone then i do sincerely apologise,and as already said by jaimes this is about soccer football rugby baseball basketball rounders or whatever ya wanna call it and its going off topic and im crap at all of em so for now i will shut up.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by straight talker
    if that comment offended anyone then i do sincerely apologise,
    Don't worry about, I don't think it offended anyone. I just have not had to do any "statistics" postings in a long while.