Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

locustfurnace,

Yup, I've used a download manager. Many, many times. RealPlayer 10 just doesn't want to installed.

Am I doing something wrong? I thought I had a virus so I did the all those virus scans and everything but it just doesn't want to installed. I even did a spyware scan too.

And I'm major pissed off at the BBC server.

Thanks,

Beta

I listen to odd episodes of the ''Archers'' that I miss during the week relayed from BFPS Gibraltar on the BBC UK web-site using real player.
    I remember having problems with BBC and Real player, but it is important to disable apps like AdDelete or other java blockers, otherwise it won't work.

The only application I have running is basically Netscape 7.02, nothing else.

*sigh* I'm starting to think that you have to download RealPlayer from the real website in order for it to work with the BBC server. But I can't even do that now. And the fact that I tried to go back to the older versions from this website is also becoming a nightmare too. It seems like nothing works.

Hi everyone,

After much searching I finally successfully downloaded RealPlayer 10 from the BBC website and found that I needed to copy some plugins from the RealPlayer folder into the Netscape Plugin folder. All nicely explained to me by BBC Audio Help. And all of this took, 12 hours to do because stupid me, I decided not to read the instructions the website told me to do.

So my advice for anyone who has downloaded an older version of RealPlayer to play anything on the BBC Radio website is to read the instructions they provide for you. But if you don't want to, I'll just post them here.

Mozilla-based browser users
    If you installed your browser after installing Real Player One, the plugins may not be there. Check your browser's plugin folder for nppl3260.dll and the components folder for nppl3260.xpt. If they are not there, then you will need to copy:
    C:\Program Files\Real\RealOne Player\Netscape6\nppl3260.xpt into C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\component s\nppl3260.xpt (or wherever your browser is installed)
    C:\Program Files\Real\RealOne Player\Netscape6\nppl3260.dll into C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\Plugins&# 092;nppl3260.dll (or wherever your browser is installed

or to the website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/audiohelp.shtml#canthear

PS The older versions still work, just remember to copy the plugins. Buy if you must download the latest RealPlayer don't do it through the Real website. I was having so much trouble with that too. Go to the BBC website to download it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/audiohelp_install.shtml

rahi

I stumbled on a player called the J. River Media Center, and you know what, i just abt plays everything from real audio/vedio files to ogg audio files, mpeg vedio files wma/wmv files mp3...literally everything.

It can be found at www.musicex.com.

It is a 30 day trial version.

RR

I hate realplayers so I'm using REAL ALTERNATIVE: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_so...alternative.cfm

It's also possible to listen .rm and .ram files with Winamp: http://classic.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=22143

-RR

Realplayer 8 is the best version to use... be sure to choose compact mode after you install it.

After Realplayer 8, it's like they went crazy with them. The later versions are full of ads, boxes, unwanted software and crap. I plan to use version 8 forever.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Guest@Sep 28 2004, 04:29 PM
    The later versions are full of ads, boxes, unwanted software and crap.
    It must have been after RP8 when AOL bought RealNetworks, and padded them with as much bloat as they could.

RealNetworks, Inc. Releases Update to Address Security Vulnerabilities.
    Updated September 28, 2004
    vunerable versions listed
    The specific exploits were:
    Exploit 1: ...an RM file .. allow an attacker to execute arbitrary code on a user's machine.
    Exploit 2:...a web page...allow an attacker to execute arbitrary code on a user's machine.
    Exploit 3: To fashion a web page and a media file to allow deletion ...

Reals solution,
    Workaround:
    To ensure that your Player is protected, we recommend installing the available updates.

my solution: live without it

Real Alternative works. Period.