Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

assiduous5

Default mp v6.4 vs. v9 default conflict

I am trying to set wmp v.6.4 as the default player on my system. When I select the file types I want it to associate in v6.4, it does the same for v.9 automatically. If I then deselect that file type in v9 it also changes v6.4. I can't seem to get v.9 to defer to v6.4 as the primary player. Any ideas? I was able to do this up until several weeks ago. I think widows update may have something to do with it. When I have the same file types selected in both players I get a pop-up download window asking if I want to save this file. I am not given the option of playing it without downloading it. I am running XP and am refering to playing mpegs from the net. I can deselect the file in 6.4 and it will play in v9.
    Last edited by assiduous5; 10-25-2005 at 02:57 PM.

Assuming you are in windows, right click a file with the extension you want to open in wmp 6.4, and click "open with", find the program you wish to use, (if its not on the list you can find it browseing for the file. This works with WINXP and server 2003. For windows 98 you go through folder options/properties... I am not 100% sure, I might update this once I get a chance to get on win98... (this computer isnt dual booted)

assiduous5

Quote Originally Posted by XaviarCraig
    Assuming you are in windows, right click a file with the extension you want to open in wmp 6.4, and click "open with", find the program you wish to use, (if its not on the list you can find it browseing for the file. This works with WINXP and server 2003. For windows 98 you go through folder options/properties... I am not 100% sure, I might update this once I get a chance to get on win98... (this computer isnt dual booted)
    I am trying to open vids directly from the net, so the "open with" option is not available when the file is right clicked. This would work if the file was on my pc.

That could be a problem... Well if you are computer savy enough, its possible to get the link for the video and directly download it, then do what I said. But that can be VERY tricky, since several sites do NOT want you doing such things so they build in things to stop you. I have only successfully gotten the videos this way maybe 2/3 the time.

I have the same problem you do, since I refuse to use the newer WMP. I just have windows media player classic(With a SHITLOAD of codecs), a cracked/tweaked version of 6.XX.