Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Default windows xp logon

goodday folks,i have just purchased a pc from an auction included are all the driver discs etc for mainboard, modem ,graphics card,sound card etc and also included is the windows xp disc.the problem i have is that the windows xp disc case is damaged and i cannot read all of the COA code from it. i cannot use the pc as it has a windows logon password that i do not know.is it possible to put the hard disk in another computer as a slave drive so i can browse and find the COA code.if this is possible where or what file would it be stored in.if this is not possible is there a way that i could bypass the windows logon password so that i can load and run xp and use the pc.thank you to anyone who may shed light on this for me as i am totally stuck and not a computer genious.

Beta

If the CD case or the PC case has the the XP product code , you could format the HDD and start again. Presumably the previous owners files are of no interest to you.
    You then wouldn't need a logon password or you could create your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Andrés
    If the CD case or the PC case has the the XP product code , you could format the HDD and start again. Presumably the previous owners files are of no interest to you.
    You then wouldn't need a logon password or you could create your own.
    the files etc are of no interest at all but if i could get past the login screen then i could use a program such as belarc advisor to retrieve the licence code as the one on the xp cd case is damaged due to it being in a box of discs that have been handled without much care as most are cracked or broken.i can read the one on the case all except 3 digits in the middle of it.i could just install an alternative os as i have windows 98se and also windows me but i would prefer to keep the xp on it as thats what it had when new.as i already mentioned im uninterested in whats on it thats why i said i would prefer to install the hard drive as a slave in another system to retrieve the code if its possible instead of getting past the login screen.that way i can just format and reinstall xp.any further help with this would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by bobby; 11-26-2005 at 04:17 PM.

hi guys,im all sorted,a tech forum advised i try at the login screen to login as administrator with no password.bingo it worked fine i have now formatted reinstalled everything and got the 3 digits i couldnt read from the case.worth remembering that this login exists as standard unless changed by the user/owner. i know i didnt get the help here i needed but thanks anyway for all the good stuff ive been reading since i found you guys and the oldversion forums.i am just wondering if it was a problem people here had not come across and hence they did not reply or did people here think i was trying to gain access to things i should not of ? i just see from reading that many people here seem very good at computer diagnostics etc and feel sure one of you would of known this ? anyhow no worries which ever i just wondered.hope i can help you guys out sometime i will be visiting again no doubts.