Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

etinkerer1

Default Sun Java Runtime Environments

Where can I find a version of Java Runtime Environment that will work with Windows 95B/98 First Edition? The current version, 5.1, only supports 98SE & higher. The earlier versions apparently are not available from Sun Microsystems.

Sun had the 1.4.x releases available from java.com until recently, although I can't find them anywhere on the site now.

I've been using version 1.4.2_07 of the Java Runtime Environment on Windows 95B, and it seems to work fine, even though Windows 95 hasn't been specified in the system "requirements" since v.1.4.0 or so. Your mileage may vary, however.

Administrator

try here mate http://www.java.com/en/download/help/win95.xml there is a link on that page to go to downloads for windows 95
    simply me

There, I found the 1.4.2 JRE download as well: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

My advice: Try 1.4.2, and see if it works on your computer. If not, try 1.3.

Administrator

personally i would go the other option use 1.3 first it avoids problems in trying to step backwards that some software causes
    simply me

Gold

Default less 64 MB RAM -> old version 1.3x

Even if you are using Win98SE or newer and want to use the Java RE with less than 64MB RAM, you can find it here:

http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se/1.3.0_02/jre/

Dietmar

Administrator

[QUOTE=Dietmar von Schuetz]Even if you are using Win98SE or newer and want to use the Java RE with less than 64MB RAM,

to try and run 98se or above with less than 64mb ram is not really an option,indeed 98se and m.e will run with 64mb ram but are so sluggish its not worth it,and above that i think you will find xp will not even install unless you are above 64mb
    simply me