Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Aim Won't Start

Default Aim Won't Start

Hey guys, I'm new here. Just wanted to say thanks for the website so I can download an old version of AIM. The new AIM Triton is horrid.

Well, I've tried downloading and installing both versions of AIM 5.5.3583 and version 5.5.3599. They both installed without a hitch, but whenever I try to start it up, it says, "AOL Instant Messanger is not currently set as your default instant messanging program. Would you like to set it as your default?" But whenever I try to choose 'Yes', it will stop responding and have to end the task. It even does this when I try to choose 'No'. Do any of you guys know how to fix this?

Thanks in advanced.

I had a similar problem the other day with AIM and my computer. Do you have wireless internet? If you do then go to it and repair it. Go to Start, Connect to, Wireless Internet Connection, then right click and click repair. If it works then try starting AIM up again and then you should be all set. This is what worked for me. I hope with helps you.

peace

-The Rabid Dog-

I get the same thing Mental. And no I do not have a wireless connection so Rabid Dog's replay doesn't help me.

I'm having this same problem and I tried to repair my wireless internet and it didn't work. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Default try this..

at the sign on window, click the setup button on the bottom left corner. then a new window will come up. on the lower right, you will see a button called connection. click that and click auto configure. then click ok, and it should connect you to the aim network.

Try setting the system defaults through the control panel. It's a button that says "Set Program Access and Defaults" From there you can choose your instant messaging program default to AIM so hopefully it won't ask you that question and maybe you can open it up then.

Default Help

When i click on my aim he pops up and then quickly goes away it wont let me sign in or anything. I need help dont no how to fix it and its updated i have even tried aim beta nothing works.

I use AIM 5.5.3595 and have never had that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mytime420
    When i click on my aim he pops up and then quickly goes away it wont let me sign in or anything. I need help dont no how to fix it and its updated i have even tried aim beta nothing works.
    Try Aim 5.5.3598ca (CANADIAN VERSION)

Its the best one you'll find.. (ALL NEWER ONES GO STRAIGHT DOWN THE TUBES)

http://ftp.newaol.com/aolcanada/AIM/en/caaim55.exe