Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Default Best Version of WinZip?

What is the latest version of WinZip that does not have the "Days Installed" countdown delay upon startup?

Also, are all versions of WinZip capable of zipping for free (as opposed to offering only unzipping)?

What other considerations are important?

Administrator

its a good while since i last used winzip,many here do use it and will inform better on its versions, i just wanted to mention 7zip i find it far faster and better than winzip and its also free http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/ have a look
    simply me

I don't claim to have used every version, but every version I've used has been "trialware" (aka nagware), and included the "days countdown" screen (including an old 16 bit version that works with Windows 3.1).

What surprised me was the fact that it still works, after the trial period is over.

Every version, I've used was capable of "zipping", (even the 16 bit version).

In my "DOS days" I used PKZIP, so I can't speak about any versions from that era (if any).

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    What surprised me was the fact that it still works, after the trial period is over.
    Yes, isnt it wonderful to find a company that still includes honesty as part of its code it being so easy to crack and all.
    I suppose if they make it harder to use it will drive people even faster to use the superior freeware products that are available.

Gold

Default The Last Free Version

Hi,
    The last free version is 8.1. I keep copies of all freeware backed up on 2 different Flash Drives and in Folders on Yahoo.
    Over the years I have seen 100s of freware programs go to Share or Pay for when they became popular. Most like ZA become to big or add options that just use RAM.
    Have a Great Day
    BILL

Gold

i think that i've nearly used all the versions of winzip....but i really didn't find a great difference in the features....i use winrar....and i think its much better..... maybe u shud try it out too!!

Gold

I've used 6.3, 7.0, 8.0, 8.1 and 9.0. Believe it or believe it not he best version that I've found is 7.0 which is what is I still use. Why? Because it zips files and folders how I want them zipped. With 8.0 and above if you right click on a folder and select Add to Foldername.zip it adds all files and folders but it also puts them in the path folder in the zip. Therefore in you right-click on the zip file and select unzip to foldername and zip name. This then adds the default folder inside. This to me is a pain in the a***. There are no options in WinZip to change this setting. That’s why I still use 7.0, works perfectly. I also use WinRAR.

One think that does surprise me about WinZip is the crack has been out for years, well I've had it for 9 years. It works on all versions apart from 10.0. I'm surprised they haven't changed this password system.