Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Gold

Default MSN Messenger Problems

I've browsed through the topics AND used the search feature but still can't find an answer to my question.

I want to be able to use MSN Messenger 5.0 or 6.0 but can't get it to work. Everytime I attempt to log in, it tells me I have to download and install the update. I've tried the Hex Workshop thing but all the build numbers I tried were not specified, said it didn't exist or was missing, etc. So my question is, what do I do now?

I'm also interested in using an older version of Yahoo Messenger but am wondering if I will have a similar problem. Advice?

Please do not suggest Trillian, Meebo or GAIM as I'm not interested in that type of software, but any other help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Gold
    Far From the Bright Center of the Universe

Default Yahoo !

You wont have that problem with Yahoo Messenger if you remove a small .exe file from the Yahoo Messenger directory called "yupdater". Once that little bug is out of there Yahoo can't nag you to update. And the messenger will still work (I'm using an old version of YMessenger right now as a matter of fact- on my 98 box).

I'd love to find a workaround for MSN myself. I need it on this older puter, but like you I can't find an older version that will run. I get the same "download the upgrade" nag.

I've got the newer versions on my XP laptop, but to run them on 98, I need an older version because they require less RAM to run.

Gold

Quote Originally Posted by QrazychiQ View Post
    You wont have that problem with Yahoo Messenger if you remove a small .exe file from the Yahoo Messenger directory called "yupdater". Once that little bug is out of there Yahoo can't nag you to update. And the messenger will still work (I'm using an old version of YMessenger right now as a matter of fact- on my 98 box).

I'd love to find a workaround for MSN myself. I need it on this older puter, but like you I can't find an older version that will run. I get the same "download the upgrade" nag.

I've got the newer versions on my XP laptop, but to run them on 98, I need an older version because they require less RAM to run.
    Thanks for tip about Yahoo QrazychiQ, it's appreciated!

Can anyone else help with my MSN problem?