Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mbiskup

Hi, does anyone know where I can acquire PGP v5.0 or below [it's an encryption program] Since after 5.0 the government has their own key and can decrypt your files

-Thanks

Super Moderator

Originally posted by mbiskup@Dec 4 2003, 07:34 PM
    Since after 5.0 the government has their own key and can decrypt your files...
    Where do you read this?
    anyways..., you can try
    • GnuPG is a complete and free replacement for PGP. Because it does not use the patented IDEA algorithm, it can be used without any restrictions. GnuPG is a RFC2440 (OpenPGP) compliant application.
    • WinPT Is a MS-Windows program to integrate GnuPG into the Desktop. It's GnuPG-based, compatible with OpenPGP compliant software (like PGP) and free for commercial and personal use under the GPL.
    • DriveCrypt SHAREWARE, This is 1344 bit hard disk encryption software.
    • Gnu Privacy Guard
      The GNU Privacy Guard (GnuPG) is the OpenPGP implementation of the GNU project. GnuPG is fully OpenPGP compliant, supports most of the optional features and provides some extra features. GnuPG is used as the standard encryption and signing tool of all GNU/Linux distributions.
      GnuPG is freely available for GNU/Linux, nearly all other Unix systems, Microsoft Windows systems and a few other operating systems. As a GNU program it can be used commercially or non-commercially without any costs.

You mayb also want to consider using Blowfish it is a "symmetric block cipher that can be used as a drop-in replacement for DES or IDEA. It takes a variable-length key, from 32 bits to 448 bits, making it ideal for both domestic and exportable use. Blowfish was designed in 1993 by Bruce Schneier as a fast, free alternative to existing encryption algorithms. Since then it has been analyzed considerably, and it is slowly gaining acceptance as a strong encryption algorithm. Blowfish is unpatented and license-free, and is available free for all uses. "
    you can learn more about it here, as well as find some shareware, freeware tools
    http://www.schneier.com/blowfish-products.html

you may also want to read this;
    A study of PGP 5.0's usability, which found that it was not sufficiently usable to provide effective security for most users.

virtualspy

I watched a Tech TV show called Spy School where they remarked that PGP versions now (starting with v3) include a government back door. So far the only old version I found was 2.6.2 International which means it has a maximum of 1024 bit encryption.

Super Moderator

http://www.mit.edu/~prz/EN/faq/index.html PGP FAQ, Interview with Phil Zimmerman.

Q: I hear that we can only trust the old forbidden versions of PGP, such as version 2.6.2. All the later versions have a back door, which is why the government approves of them. Is this true? Come on, you can tell me.

A: No, no, no. The version number had nothing to do with what was forbidden to export from the U.S. Note that no version of PGP was actually "forbidden". It was always legal to use it in the U.S. But in the 1990s, all software with strong crypto was export controlled, including PGP. If today's version of PGP were available back then, it would have been equally subject to the same export controls. In 2000, the U.S. government lifted the export controls on strong crypto, which made it legal to export all versions of PGP, including the old versions, such as 2.6.2. It was the law that changed, not the software.

The law changed because the entire U.S. computer industry (which is the largest, most powerful industry in the U.S.) was united in favor of lifting the export controls. Money means political influence. After years of fighting it, the government finally had to surrender. If the White House had not lifted the export controls, the Congress and the Judicial system were preparing to intervene to do it for them.

Q: I heard that the US Government would never allow PGP to be published unless there was a back door. Is there one? Come on, you can tell me, I won't tell anyone, really, I promise.

A: Read my lips: There are no back doors in PGP. Haven't you been paying attention? Besides, have you ever thought about how absurd it is to receive a question like this by email from a total stranger, who assures me that he won't divulge my presumably scandalous answer?

Look, if you really feel the need to believe in conspiracy theories, here's an even better one: The government actually started these nasty rumors of back doors in PGP, because in fact they don't know how to break it. What better way to scare people away from using it? And you played right into their hands by falling for their clever rumors. Personally, I don't buy that theory either, because unlike some people, I'm not a conspiracy nut.

gengar56

1024 bits isn't enough?

Super Moderator

Originally posted by gengar56@Dec 15 2003, 11:03 PM
    1024 bits isn't enough?
    They might be looking for 2048 bit titles.

WarDave

Anyone remeber when PGP was free? I think the first few versions of it was, anyone know where I could find them?

Super Moderator

Please search the forum before making requests, this has been answered already, you can find many older PGP versions here.
    http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...&st=0#entry5761

Release Candiate 1

PGP has always been and continues to be free, except now there are also many non-free versions available as well.

Here is the PGP Freeware: http://www.pgp.com/products/freeware.html

-igor