Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 2000 SP4
    I'm so sure nobody here cares about vista this is old version not vista I'm sure the dsl board could use this info but 99.9% I bet someone would beat you to the news.
    It seems like you dont like it here.....

Default [video] This Is The Way To "Install" Windows Vista...

Administrator

Default sorted dude

hey dude i found a version of xp thats real good and mega cheapif you really want to go with xp go linux xp desktop i just testing it for a while and its pretty impressive.
    simply me

Default US DOT bans Vista and IE7

Beta

Well just tested out vista in front, somebody wanted my help with there computer they forgot there vista user name password so I had to do some tricks to reset that.

I notice 2 small lines going across screen when loading windows.

Notice alot of junk big time wow clock on the right side looks cool up top, weather wellllll i guess thats cool.

Notice comes preinstall with macfee virus scan and I must point out macfee can't support vista, Notice vista would crash.

I had to uninstall macfee.

The start menu wow big time change too much on it if you where used to xp or 2000 you be lost on that.

One more thing to you people if you can't master your current windows system what ever it is then don't go buy new computer with vista.

Vista is something you can't do if you can't even master your current windows now.

I was on it for 30 minutes i tell you knew my $hit from there, 21' lcd screen too looks awesome but, I see problems.

Startup you get popup saying needs to sign drivers, preinstall with windows live messager haha.

Taskbar big change too, I dont know about if it was just vista don't support 800x600 res or was just driver for that monitor that don't support 800x600 but was not listed on display.

That's all I can say was not my pc just was there to get vista loading, reset password never had any time to toy anything else.

Administrator

im sure members would like to know about the trick you used to get round the lost password for vista it may be useful.as far as antivirus i doubt there was a problem with mcaffee if it came preinstalled.why would they preinstall it if it was not compatible.
    simply me

Beta

Safe mode HOLD F10, or empty floppy disk was second opition vista has and password would be there but I went with my old nice safe mode trick.

Priceless

Administrator

i will have to see if that works,sounds too easy for vista but i will try it in a few days when ive got a system up and running with it
    simply me

Super Moderator

Was looking for a yet another computer. In October I made a laptop purchase. A Toshiba Satellite Intel Core-Duo, 1Gig Ram, Windows Media Center, 17" screen.

Last week I was tempted to buy another laptop, this would have been making use of the AMD Turion 64. I wanted it to run Slam64 on it. As Slam64 is a 64bit version of Slackware.

I was not having any luck getting the MS Windows MC to use both cores when video encoding. It would take 4-5hours to encode to XviD. When I patched Windows with a hotfix to use both cores. It ended up causing the video program that did work, not to work any longer.

So I figured I would get a AMD 64 and run Slam64 on it, using avidemux2 to encode.

So I went shopping, found a HP. Price was nice, less than a grand. Came loaded with 64bit Vista, but only offered 10/100 ethernet. I wanted Gigabit. Plus the CPU was only a TL-52 (1.6Ghz).

Anyways I ended up purchasing a new Macbook. 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1Gig RAM DDR2 667Mhz, DL-DVD, 802.11 b/g/n. Though cost about twice as much as a MS Windows equipped laptop.

But well worth the money. Even though my LAN is only a wired 10/100. I can use the macbook notebook wireless with no wireless routers. I can simply route though my iMac. Which also features wireless connectivity.
    I can connect the iMac and the Macbook up using a standard ethernet cable (not a cross-over cable) and get gigabit speeds between them.

Setting up the wireless was simple to do. Getting the MS Windows PC to share files with the mac was also simple to do. Getting files to the Mac's from Slackware is simple to do.

Just about everything loaded in Vista has been available in OS X for sometime now.

As far as video encoding goes. Using either the iMac or the new Macbook I can encode using both cores and I usually can encode in 1 hours, which is 3-4 hours less than it took on the Windows box.

Default Vista's long goodbye

Deleting files can take forever

By Dan Goodin in San Francisco
    Published Monday 26th March 2007 23:57 GMT
    Receive the days biggest stories by email

Windows Vista suffers from a bug that causes many machines to stall while deleting, copying and moving files, a flaw that has provoked consternation in online forums.
    ......According to a thread on Microsoft's TechNet site, Microsoft has issued a hotfix for the problem, but it has failed to quell the outrage. For one thing, individual users must get Microsoft's approval before the fix can be downloaded, according to our tipster. And for another, hotfixes are more of a pain to install than patches. [more]
    Unreal!!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03...ta_copying_bug