Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default More than 60% of Vista needs to be re-written

only 60% thats an improvement,its okay though i will maybe buy it when it gets to service pack 19 or so and has about 350 hotfixes lol lol lol, never thought i would say this but i been using linux my old man set up on a pc and mate for what i use lately ie backing up music and dvd discs and editing my own photos etc it literally walks all over my usual pc.

Release Candiate 1

Once the big game companys start making 64bit games then I might buy new computer vista be preinstall in most computers anyway.

Administrator

vista will be preinstalled on most pcs anyway,thats a shame as once again it takes away the freedom of choice.
    simply me

Release Candiate 1

Well if you where smart buy windows xp box or 2000 buy new computer and format it and install xp or 2000 what ever you like. And it can be done.........

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 2000 SP4 View Post
    Well if you where smart buy windows xp box or 2000 buy new computer and format it and install xp or 2000 what ever you like. And it can be done.........
    why would i want to buy a new pc then format it and install a different os,i wouldnt buy a pc anyway,i build my own systems to my own requirements as an when i need one,the comment was a general opinion on new pcs being shipped with the latest os all the time and taking away the freedom of choice from every day people who cannot or do not want to do such things.
    simply me

Super Moderator

Until chipmakers & motherboards start supporting more than 4Gb of RAM, getting a 64bit system right now is not the benefit it would seem.
    The only major benefit 64bit has over 32bit systems, is being able to address more than 4 gigs of RAM. But from most of the systems being shipped today, they either come with 1 or 2 gigs of RAM and can usually only be upgraded to 4Gb.

The best option available is to get a dual or quad-core system. My iMac is a dual-core 2.0Ghz and it does have a performance boost when encoding video. I usually can compress any movie to XviD in half an hour using 180% of the CPU. I am sure the Xeon Quad Core Mac Pro's would beat that time by a large margin.

Sure, 64bit might sound great, buy why wait for something thats really not going to improve your experience by much unless you have all the pieces required.
    You can likely find some games that offer SMP performance which is far better than 64bit has to offer.

As far as Vista, it sounds like a nightmare.

Default Vista news

Vista's legal fine print includes extensive provisions granting Microsoft the right to regularly check the legitimacy of the software and holds the prospect of deleting certain programs without the user's knowledge. During the installation process, users "activate" Vista by associating it with a particular computer or device and transmitting certain hardware information directly to Microsoft. [more]
    http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/175801

What nerve they have!!!

Would it be possible making EVERY FILE "READ ONLY" so it cannot be deleted??

They are trying to force this garbage on everyone! Dells are now only going out with VISTA (You cant request anything else)

M$ needs to be stopped and now!

Release Candiate 1

I'm so sure nobody here cares about vista this is old version not vista I'm sure the dsl board could use this info but 99.9% I bet someone would beat you to the news.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 2000 SP4 View Post
    I'm so sure nobody here cares about vista this is old version not vista I'm sure the dsl board could use this info but 99.9% I bet someone would beat you to the news.
    Guess you're not privy to Comcast television commercials. As DSL is for the Slowsky's.

This is Oldversion, but that does not mean users must use an old OS. Then again, Vista is already outdated before it was released. Considering how long it was in development.