Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Icq Without Ads

Qwer Ty

Excluding ICQ lite, what is the most recent version of ICQ without advertisments in the individual message windows?

guest_Brian

i may be wrong, but i believe icq started using ads when they made 2000b

BlueNoah

You can get rid of ads in newer version of ICQ using ICQPlus, when you have a skin on, the ads do not show up. It's not really an ideal solution, but it works in a pinch.

Nichers

There's a few sites around that explain how to remove ads from later versions, but these days, it usually seems to involve deleting your history database.

Flying Gino

If you really want ICQ with no adds use Trillian.
    www.trillian.cc
    its a clone of ICQ that can also do AOL, MSN, IRC and Yahoo.

Brian

Yeah, Trillian (and other clients like EasyMessage, Odigo, Lycos, etc) will do the trick having no banners, but it doesn't bother me using ICQ client.

Super Moderator

you can use older versions of icq, but due to change in protocol to v7 or v8, you wont get your offline messages, but can still send,
    its easy to stop the banners, no hacking

go to the icq folder, find the file/folder called AteBrowser

delete it, make a txt file with same name, make it read-only.
    thats it.
    thats all i ever do.

its easy to stop the banners, no hacking

go to the icq folder, find the file/folder called AteBrowser

delete it, make a txt file with same name, make it read-only.
    thats it.
    thats all i ever do.
    Hmmm youre lucky this didnt work for me
    ICQ2003a
    Win98
    I.E.5

It disabled ICQ s.m.s. at first attempt & then ICQ just rewrote the folder & I have those lovely (not) adds back

Super Moderator

sorry to hear that. that is how i currently set up all icq clients for people i help out.
    its possible, that you are not setting up explorer to SHOW AL FILE EXTENSIONS.
    look in any folder. see if the files all end with a DOT.EXE, DOT .TXT, if not. that will not permit the creation of a file named ATEBROWSER, without adding the creator extension, such as .txt

so if you arent seeing the .txts, you need to permit all extensions to be shown. then now when you create files. you will need to add the last 3 file creator extensions.
    and if you do not add the last 3, you then can create files with no extensions, which is required when making the ATEBROWSER file i mention above.

since explorer defaults to hiding the last 3 letters on all files. it needs to be shown. if you arent seeing them, its hiding them.
    can be changed via
    Windows Explorer / TOOLS / Folder Otpions / VIEW

sorry to hear that. that is how i currently set up all icq clients for people i help out.
    Thanks for the long go slow:-) explaination I created the txt file & deleted the .txt extension .All is well add free & s.ms working :-)