Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Gold

Default Yahoo Display image problem

Hi folks, I have a real weird problem, hopefully someone will be able to help. I have yahoo messenger 7 installed on my comp, and for a while it was working fine, but lately I have not been able to change my display image. I didn't make any super changes to my computer, aside from getting rid of a trojan, but my yahoo problem has been happening since way before that. I can use my yahoo avatar just fine, but everytime I try to use my own pictures, all I get is the "Change Display image" thing. I click it and try to change it, but after I select an image, it automatically goes to the "Do not share image" and does not allow me to change it.

Yahoo recommended that I delete the "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\Profiles\myid\my icons" folder contents, but that did not work at all. Before I did, I noticed that the files inside were corrupted. I proceeded to uninstall, and completely removed the leftover garbage before reinstalling the software, but I still have the same problem. Yahoo help, was no help at all, since all they did was tell me to delete my internet cache, which I normally do anyway.

I hope someone can give me a hand with this. Thanks in advance.

Gold

i had the same problem as urs....... but i guess each one of us has some probs in our comps which cant really be explained. I faced this problem when i had a dial-up connection, but as soon as i upgraded to broadband the problem was removed. Maybe u can try upgrading 2 a newer version. The Yahoo! messenger v7.5 beta is out and much better than the older versions!

Gold

I uninstalled the one I had, then deleted the left over stuff that yahoo felt was necessary, and I still have that problem. Maybe thats just the God's telling me to quit being cheap and finally get broadband? Who knows. You're right though, differ comp configs can cause different problems, so maybe it's the comp. Oh well, I suppose I'll have to give my avatar some nice clothes cause it's all I'll have for a while. Thanks for the reply.

Default Possible solution for you

I have this same problem off and on. What I've found is that Yahoo messenger must upload your images to their servers and it does this in the background. The size of the image matters greatly. If you have a large photo that you've selected as your display image, messenger is going to keep trying to send that file up to the messenger servers. The larger the file the longer it takes. So try this...

Save your picture to a file size that is less than 50K. Then select that image as your display image. Within a brief period (depending on your connection speed) your new display image will show up.

This doesn't work every time for me either. But more often than not I have better success with smaller image sizes.

Gold

Thanks for the advice Mario, I've given that a try and it seems to work, (When my comp decides to be nice and actually function) though I think all these errors are real signs that I'm just going to have to bone up and get a better connection. Little by little my comp is becoming more and more obsolete, especially with websites being made all in flash which takes days to load... *Sigh* anyways, I really appreciate the advice, I'll make sure to keep my display pics small for now on, until I get a better service provider anyway.