Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Default External Storage and Updating OS

I have a Seagate 80gb attached USB to my computer with Windows 98. I bought a new computer with XP and will be networking with this one but will update it to Windows 98SE (anyone still with me?).

I don't find this drive on the seagate site and wonder:

1. Do I leave this connected while I install Windows 98SE (Full Version)?
    2. Should I disconnect it?
    3. Am I better off connecting it to my new computer?

Thanks for your response. Oh, I see my face over there...

Super Moderator

Is the USB drive running Windows98?? Or is the USB drive just for backup files?
    Unless your running the OS from the USB drive, your best to disconnect it. Considering this is Microsoft Windows we're talking about, you never know what can happen.

Administrator

most certainly i would disconnect it,a point worth noting is as locust suggests what are you using the drive for ? a chap once asked me what was wrong,he had a pc with an external drive and had a folder on it he named program files,when he installed anything he installed it to what was his local disc f.he then had probs and reinstalled his pc but couldnt access his programs,need i say more.i personally only ever advise using a external drive as storage and for backing up your files/music etc.
    simply me

Super Moderator

Yes. currently I am running the beta release of Apples' OS X - "Leopard", from a USB drive.
    But mostly I only use externals for backup purposes.

I am using it for files only. Thanks, I will disconnect it. However, when I reconnect it -will there be any problems accessing the files (mainly Word and Pictures)?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by vellen99 View Post
    I am using it for files only. Thanks, I will disconnect it. However, when I reconnect it -will there be any problems accessing the files (mainly Word and Pictures)?
    no you shouldnt have any problems accessing anything on it as long as you have the software to open the type of files,if you have been using word etc then just reinstall them after you install your os,be sure though to have the driver for your external drive either on disc or backed to a disc as it may not auto install under windows 98se.
    simply me

The Seagate External Drive I have did not require a driver, simply plug in and press the button. We now have the new computer with XP, can this drive be transferred to that computer?

Administrator

yes it should work fine,partly the reason myself included have removable drives as they can be taken with you from pc to pc and keep all your files together.
    simply me

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by vellen99 View Post
    ... can this drive be transferred to that computer?
    Quote Originally Posted by the gaffer View Post
    yes.... they can be taken with you from pc to pc and keep all your files together.
    As mentioned, Yes.

If the external drive is formatted appropriately it can even be used among many different Operating Systems.
    I had one formatted with FAT32. So I was able to plug the drive in and out of Slackware Linux, Windows XP, Mac OS X, and access the files with ease.

I've since reformatted the drive for Mac OS X filesystem.And I keep it plugged into my iMac only. But i can still access the drive from just about any OS via Network Filesharing. This will reduce the number of times I plug and unplug the device into the USB ports.

Upgrading my network to Gigabit also helped reduce transfer times. So there really is no reason I need to ever disconnect the drive.