Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spammers

Default Spammers

I guess the oldversion webmasters should be flattered that the spam merchants think enough of this forum to take the time to sign up so they can post. But it does litter the forum up a bit.

Perhaps you can make them jump through another hoop.
    Is e-mail verification turned on?

Yes i have noticed alot of SPAM CRAP being posted lately......

Im sick of it.......Its bad enough ya get plastered in EMAIL,now the idiots are fouling up sites!!!!!!!!!!!!

Administrator

as with any of this type or garbage its best ignored,any attention is just what they want.like a fart in the wind ignore it and it just drifts away as quick as it appeared.
    simply me

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    I guess the oldversion webmasters should be flattered that the spam merchants think enough of this forum ...
    It is perhaps a matter of perception of potential suckers

When we had the Invision Power Board current users generally ranked around high teens with the change of board its suddenly in the low hundy,someone cooked the books,perhaps newer is not always better.

Default Spotting Spambots

It seems that some of the "bots" have learned how to register and do e-mail confirmations....

At another forum (about flyfishing), the webmaster is spotting new "members" who are actually bots with an easy trick.

EDIT: Details of "trick" to foil spambots removed, lest too many spammers read and develop countermeasures. By now the forum administrators have had a chance to read, and decide whether or not it's worth implimenting.

It easy to set up on a vBulletin (not sure about other board software, but if you can Edit: detail removed, it might work out).
    We've only had two sucessful spam posts in the past month.
    He's been deleting at least three spambot accounts a week by this method (I spotted three that registered yesterday).
    Last edited by Pete; 12-22-2006 at 05:00 PM.

G00d!!!

Kick all those idiots to the curb!!!!

Beta

I never pay much attention here fill me in what I miss?

Administrator

the thread was posted regarding the amount of spam rubbish was popping up on the site at the time,not many notice this as it is deleted as soon as it appears.
    simply me

Looks like the spambots are getting more persistent.

Here's a link to a searchable database of known spammers.
    Stop Forum Spam

If you check out new registrations before they validate, you can ban or delete before they do their dirty business.....

This one checks out several databases....
    SpamBot Search Tool v0.41

Administrator

Pete, the spam is getting very bad mate,unfortunately i cannot be here every minute but do remove it as and when i can get online,as it is i have banned dozens of spammers.hopefully they will eventually learn
    simply me