Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Default Windows XP (Automatic Updates)

How important is it to have the Automatic Updates Option selected for Windows XP. My friend doesn't use them, he says you don't need them. My copy of Windows XP that i am currently using is not Legit. I bought my computer from dell and they didn't give me a Windows XP disc with it. Does anyone know what this disc looks like?

Administrator

automatic updates really need to be on ,they are mainly security fixes that you really should have,what do you mean its not legit ? if you didnt get your disc with your pc from dell then take the matter up with dell.the discs usually shipped with their pcs are a reinstallation disc specific to their machines.as far as what they look like they are round with a hole in the middle.the coa code is on a sticker on the side or back of your casing,if it hasnt got one then you really need to sort this out.dell reinstallation discs are cheap as chips at ebay.com.running a dodgy version is not worth it their is so many holes in windows that you need the updates just to try and keep your pc secure otherwise you leave it wide open to attacks of all sorts.
    simply me

Quote Originally Posted by the gaffer
    automatic updates really need to be on ,they are mainly security fixes that you really should have,what do you mean its not legit ? if you didnt get your disc with your pc from dell then take the matter up with dell.the discs usually shipped with their pcs are a reinstallation disc specific to their machines.as far as what they look like they are round with a hole in the middle.the coa code is on a sticker on the side or back of your casing,if it hasnt got one then you really need to sort this out.dell reinstallation discs are cheap as chips at ebay.com.running a dodgy version is not worth it their is so many holes in windows that you need the updates just to try and keep your pc secure otherwise you leave it wide open to attacks of all sorts.
    Well the reason my copy of windows xp pro that i am currently using is not legit is because i had my friend reformat my computer because of personal reasons. Now with that being said i am left here worried about my computer slowly turning to shit because of me being unable to use automatic updates. If i were to turn it on then i would get a star on my taskbar that says' You may be a victim of counterfit software. And because of this windows will not update for me. I have the product key number sticker on my pc although i have no disc and don't know what to do. I called dell and tryed to contact them online ; worthless. I purchased my computer in December of 05. There should of been a disc with it but 7 months later when i need to use it i realize i don't have one, WTF !? This sucks. Someone please help.
    Last edited by whiteboypain; 07-05-2006 at 10:50 PM.

Users of the "Windows XP Unoffical Shareware Edition" can get their security patches here: http://www.windizupdate.com .

Quote Originally Posted by BugMeNot
    Users of the "Windows XP Unoffical Shareware Edition" can get their security patches here: http://www.windizupdate.com .
    hmm, that looks iffy.

What does everyone else think?
    Last edited by whiteboypain; 07-05-2006 at 11:10 PM.

ok, so does anyone else out there NOT HAVE a legit copy of Windows XP and still somehow get the automatic updates with ease?

Administrator

there are so called update fixes and stuff all over the net that claim they do this and that but you will not get help here with them ,you really need to take this up with the computer supplier if it was purchased new.if your copy is not legit then its illegal end of.
    simply me

Seems to me that updates are what turns XP to shit over time... well service packs are OK. Well, that's just my opinion.

Anyways, windizupdate works great. When you download updates from there, all it does is let your computer get them directly from the official Microsoft site. Windiz update doesn't host its own downloads. It acts as a windowsupdate.com front-end. I'm afraid that's nearly your only option at this point as far as I know.

P.S. Since your computer came with XP and you simply reinstalled it from a different disk, who cares? You own a windows XP license. Just because it's from a different cd doesn't mean it's illegal.
    Last edited by BugMeNot; 07-09-2006 at 04:56 PM.

Administrator

P.S. Since your computer came with XP and you simply reinstalled it from a different disk, who cares? You own a windows XP license. Just because it's from a different cd doesn't mean it's illegal.[/QUOTE]

the op already stated his version of windows was not legit.if he has/owns a windows licence then he has no worries of using microsoft updates.but did he use his original licence code to install.dell usually ship pcs with a reinstallation disc specific to their machines,this is different to a standard genuine windows xp disc.as far as you quote (who cares) the poster will if he uses windows update and he isnt legit as he will be stuck with a notification popping up continually telling him he isnt genuine.
    simply me