Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My Cd Rom Drive is not working

So yeah, my piece of junk cd-rom drive isn't working. It won't play cd's or dvds. Any suggestions? other than buying a new rom drive...cause i'm sure this is fixable

You'd be more likely to get some definitive help if you described your system and the curcumstance of the failure more throughly. Also the symptoms (error messages & etc).

In General check:
    • For loose wires. Sometimes it's a good idea to open up the box and ensure that all connectors are seated properly.

Some drives don't operate well with the generic drivers supplied by Windows. Check for missing/corrupted drivers. If the plug & play drivers don't work, check the manufacture's website to download any special drivers.

Make sure the drive is enabled in the BIOS.
    BTW: If it's a CD drive, it won't play DVDs.

Can it read software/data CDs and not music? Or doesn't it read anything?
    Last edited by Pete; 07-30-2006 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    You'd be more likely to get some definitive help if you described your system and the curcumstance of the failure more throughly. Also the symptoms (error messages & etc).

In General check:
    • For loose wires. Sometimes it's a good idea to open up the box and ensure that all connectors are seated properly.

Some drives don't operate well with the generic drivers supplied by Windows. Check for missing/corrupted drivers. If the plug & play drivers don't work, check the manufacture's website to download any special drivers.

Make sure the drive is enabled in the BIOS.
    BTW: If it's a CD drive, it won't play DVDs.

Can it read software/data CDs and not music? Or doesn't it read anything?
    Yeah, My Bad. It's actually a 48x CD-RW/DVD combo Drive. When i place either a Dvd Retail or Burned or a Cd Retail or Burned, nothing happens. That is it, nothing. No Errors. The only thing that happens is that i get a message that says " Windows Cannot Play DVD Video. Open Display In Control Panel, and lower your screen resolution and color quality settings." Then it wants me to either close the box or click on " View Dvd Troubleshooter" which i might add is a pain in the ass and doesn't help much..
    Last edited by whiteboypain; 08-04-2006 at 01:57 AM.

What happens if you....
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteboypain
    ..... Open Display In Control Panel, and lower your screen resolution and color quality settings.......

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    What happens if you....
    Tryed it. didn't fix the problem.

Beta

Could be dirty needs to be clean

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 98SE
    Could be dirty needs to be clean
    You mean, open up my case and clean it..?

Beta

You could do it yourself if u know what your doing, Or buy the cd clearner

Gold

Cleaning it is what I would have suggested too... been a few days? Has your problem been resolved? It would be cool for you to post a reply and let us know what the conclusion was.

Quote Originally Posted by garryconn View Post
    Cleaning it is what I would have suggested too... been a few days? Has your problem been resolved? It would be cool for you to post a reply and let us know what the conclusion was.
    Alright. I apologize for keeping you waiting. The outcome is that i have missing/improper decoders. I think. I don't know. I'm going to just have my friend take a look at it. I will let you know what REALLY was wrong with it and how he fixed it.