Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norton Ghost

WildOptic

I have Bart's PE-Builder and need Ghost32.exe to get Symantec Ghost as a plugin. Its available only in corprate versions of symantec ghost I heard but, if you guys can help me just find the file or have it that would be great thanks.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by WildOptic@Sep 25 2003, 08:46 AM
    I have Bart's PE-Builder and need Ghost32.exe to get Symantec Ghost as a plugin. Its available only in corprate versions of symantec ghost I heard but, if you guys can help me just find the file or have it that would be great thanks.
    Ghost.exe, as you said, is only available in the Corporate version, therefore it is part of a retai product. I really do not believe Symantecs license permits seperation of the product for free. So offering the binary would more than likely violate their user agreement, and would then be an illegal act.

There are other alternatives to Nortons Ghost. I tried the demo years ago, was not sold on the product at all. at that time, it was not possible to save a single partition to another partition, it would only save across the network. which I found to be wasteful when I only wanted to backup a single partition - C, to another partition for emergency recovery. so I found better options.

Currently the favorite imaging tool I use is Partimage, from http://partimage.org.
    It already comes as an installable program, or on an ISO image, to make a bootable CD. But if it for the GNU/Linux environment.

There also exists other similar tools. which I had posted links on this forum not too long ago, one was a DOS tool
    Partition Saving, http://perso.club-internet.fr/guiboure/en/...ndex_frame.html

WildOptic

So do you know of any ghost utilitys that will run in a windows pe enviroment? well actually PE-Builder.

Super Moderator

as I said, you really do not need to use the ghost program, the Partition Saving program will do the sme thing.
    are you wanting to build the PE bootdisk for restoration, or replication?
    either of the tools i mentioned will do just the same thing pretty much.

you can make a CD bootdisk very easily. just make a regular floppy bootdisk, and copy the img to a file. make an iso with what tools you want.
    use the floppy img as the bookloader.

are you trying to make a self contained LIVE CD of windows?

sandy867

Hi!
    I'm trying to find An old version of Norton ghost;
    Program Name:- Norton Ghost
    Current version: I think it's 8.0 or 2003
    Desired versions: 5.1b; or 5.1c;
    Description: creates Images of your Hard drive.
    This was a free version but it's no longer on the site.
    or I've misses it?
    hope someone can help!!
    tks !
    R

Super Moderator

I don't think Nortons Ghost was ever free, they may have had a shareware version you could download and demo, but not that i recall was it ever Freeware. If someone else can confirm it was freeware, then i am sure someone will be able to locate this for you.
    Some similar apps have been posted on this forum, check this thread
    http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...t=1385&hl=ghost

If you will settle for a shareware version, that could most likely be found.

Administrator

norton ghost 5.1b and 5.1c were demo versions, found 5.1b on downloadsafari.com which says it is a demo but the download link no longer works, i dont think this was ever freeware.
    simply me

sandy867

Hello!
    locustfurnace and The Qaffer:
    You're both right It's shareware. I also found it at safari.
    with a broken link.
    thanks again
    R

guest_sandy867

Originally posted by sandy867@Jan 31 2004, 07:10 PM
    Hello!
    locustfurnace and The Qaffer:
    You're both right It's shareware. I also found it at safari.
    with a broken link.
    thanks again
    R
    Hi!
    I received an e-mail from Teodores yesterday.
    I have been looking for my post since. I've just found it.
    Thanks a lot Teodoros.
    I have since bought a "linux Knoppix CD" whic has
    solved he problem.
    thsnkd again
    R

Super Moderator

Were you looking for Knoppix? Since you could have downloaded it for free. If you only bought it to use the disk imaging software, that too could have been freely downloaded at http://partimage.org, since this is the exact program most LiveCD's are using. and it works very well. I have used it to backup several systems from images stored on a networked system.
    You can download the CD's ISO images from the developers site if you want.
    Knoppix Website
    Gnoppix LiveCD