Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: aim worm

Administrator

Default aim worm

A sophisticated computer worm spreading via AOL Instant Messenger is setting up a botnet that may be difficult to combat, Computerworld reports.

The worm, known as W32.pipeline, propagates when AIM users click on a Web link that appears to have been sent to them by someone on their buddy list. They receive a message along the lines of "Hey, would it be okay if I upload this picture of you to my blog?" If the recipient clicks on the link, an executable file that looks like a JPEG will download into a Windows folder.

The file can then execute a number of different attacks. It can open up the e-mail port on the PC and send out spam messages. It can also install a variant of the "hacker defender" rootkit, which is widely deployed and difficult to remove.

One of the most dangerous aspects of the worm is that it can also connect to remote file-upload sites, where it can continuously download new infections. The worm is unique because the program seems to be able to contact a number of different sites around the globe randomly.

"Previously, where we've seen something similar to this attempted, if one file is pulled off-line or removed by an ISP, the whole chain goes down. But this one, if one file goes missing or gets pulled down, it will potentially make a call to another file. It has quite a random aspect to it," one expert said.

taken from a bullguard news letter,
    simply me

The scums dont ever stop trying to hurt others do they??

Thanx 4 the report my friend!