Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Default Converter Movie Program

I have been using OldVersion website for quite a long time
    because I have Windows 98 installed in my computer and sometimes, the programs that are launched don't work in it.
    I am looking for a program to download that can CONVERT VIDEOS in different formats, because when I record a short video in my webcam (DEXXA), it is installed in a EXE format and it doesn't play in the Windows Media Player.
    I'd like to know a program that I can download and be able to
    CONVERT all my videos in a WMP format to send to friends because the majority of computer use WMPlayer to watch movies, so it's secure that the person I send will be able to watch the movie. Please be aware that my Windows is 98, so newer programs are mostly for Windows XP.
    Thank you for any help!

Patricia

Super Moderator

The video from the webcam is stored in "DEXXA" format??
    Unless the video from the webcam is stored in a format that can be converted, you might have problems finding a program.

As far as converting to a locked format, WMV, which only will play correctly with the correct WMV codec and on a Microsoft Windows platform, you might want to think of a format that everyone can view. Which is likely an avi container format.

There are many program for free that do video conversion. You might want to try "VirtualDub", there are old versions of this program hosted at Oldversion.com

Quote Originally Posted by locustfurnace View Post
    The video from the webcam is stored in "DEXXA" format??
    Unless the video from the webcam is stored in a format that can be converted, you might have problems finding a program.

As far as converting to a locked format, WMV, which only will play correctly with the correct WMV codec and on a Microsoft Windows platform, you might want to think of a format that everyone can view. Which is likely an avi container format.

There are many program for free that do video conversion. You might want to try "VirtualDub", there are old versions of this program hosted at Oldversion.com

Thank you for your reply! I am definitely not good in computer's stuff but I think the format that the videos are recorded is VMAILVID, or at least this is the name that goes with the video to a file that is stored. But when I tried to download it in a webpage site, it's dowloaded in an EXE format so there is no way to watch on WMP.
    You said about AVI format, but my problem is been to convert the movies from it's format to any otther format, because I don't know a converter program. Now I am going to download this VirtualDub you mentioned and see what happens.
    I will keep in touch afterwards all right?
    Thanks again for you help.
    Patricia

Administrator

not 100% sure on this but i seem to think the name cresta systems inc was something to do with vmailvid file format but cannot at the moment find it on the net. is the webcam you are using a logitech ? as that also rings a bell, vmailvid i believes refers to logitech video email
    Last edited by the gaffer; 10-25-2006 at 08:27 AM.
    simply me