Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Swish

epp_b

According to Swish' Support forum (see http://support.swishzone.com/support_forum...1&ThreadPage=12 ), they do not want old versions of Swish being distributed. Have you guys [at oldversion.com] contacted Swish about distributing their program?

Release Candiate 1

Very intersting topic. As most of you may have guessed, OldVersion.com is a rather controversial web site. Most companies would prefer people using the latest version of their software. The exact words of the Swish support forum moderator were: "We would prefer it if old builds were not distibuted freely". I am sure Microsoft would prefer to not have Linux distributed freely, but that does not mean that every Linux distributer should follow the advice.

You are free to select what kind of clothes you wear or what kind of car you drive. No one is challenging those rights. By the same principle, the people deserve to have the freedom to choose which version of a program they would like to use. OldVersion.com is more than just a software archive. Our goal is to liberate the people from the bindings placed upon them by the software manufacturers.

While most of the companies are not on our side, we have received a letter from RARLAB (makers of WinRAR) expressing their approval. We applaud them. There may be other companies that share this opinion, but have simply never bothered to express it.

I hope this clarifies a lot of things. If you have more concerns, do not be afraid to post them.

- Igor

epp_b

I am aware that Oldversion.com is controversial (but don't get me wrong...I love this site, because you are absolutely correct: newer does NOT always mean better...). I just thought that it was something worth mentioning.

However, I think you should have some kind of disclaimer on your website, just to be safe

p.s. as far as Microsoft goes, I think they would prefer not to have any products, but theirs, distrubuted, whatsoever

Originally posted by igor@Feb 13 2003, 03:34 PM

While most of the companies are not on our side, we have received a letter from RARLAB (makers of WinRAR) expressing their approval. We applaud them.
    Better hold the applause Igor. Files zipped with the newer versions of WinRAR can&#39;t be opened with the older versions. It&#39;s no wonder RarLab doesn&#39;t mind. <_<

Release Candiate 1

Originally posted by Guest@Mar 10 2003, 08:09 AM
    Better hold the applause Igor. Files zipped with the newer versions of WinRAR can&#39;t be opened with the older versions. It&#39;s no wonder RarLab doesn&#39;t mind.
    The compression algorithm of any file-compressing software is a work in progress. It is often tweaked and changed. We cannot expect it to be backwards-compatible. However, older version can still open older files.

The world of old versions is far from perfect. We should be happy for being able to get what we can. It is better than nothing.

- Igor

Andy

Well seeing as the old version of SWish is only demo, and while it says SWish 1.0 in the about under help, go to SWish download and downlaod SWish lite, I think it&#39;s version 1.4.7 or something like that, same thing B) so I&#39;m sure they won&#39;t mind, since you can download it from there too :P

swish

Edited by ABlix: This is not a warez forum, further requests for such things will cause you to be banned from the forums.

archvile

Better hold the applause Igor. Files zipped with the newer versions of WinRAR can&#39;t be opened with the older versions. It&#39;s no wonder RarLab doesn&#39;t mind.
    ive been useing 2.80 of winrar for some time, i NEVER had a problem with opening newer zip&#39;s, so either nobody has made a new zip archive that ive download in the past(doubtful), or what your saying isnt correct

thankful user

whatever companies think, i got what i desperately wanted and oldversion was the only place i could get it,keep up the fantastic work, your all brilliant,