Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by me2 View Post
    locustfurnace,

Yes, I've heard of Lindows (MS sued for the name change). I've never checked it out for myself, but I may just do it. The Windows world is getting worse and worse. Maybe it's time I left it.

Thanks for all the information you've given.
    Good. I've been running GNU/Linux and *BSD's since around 1995. About 6 years ago I stopped tinkering with the OS's and got serious. Currently out of the 30+ computers I own, none are currently running MS Windows.

It took time for me to find good replacement apps that I enjoyed under MS Windows. But if I did not find something I was looking for. I had the tools (programming toolchains) included in the OS to create my own.

Currently. I do all my video compression encoding on my iMac Core Duo. Then I do the trimming on my Slackware box. This usually includes repacking and muxing the streams.

I've been trying to locate a "decent" video encoder, compressor under the MS Windows world and have had zero success. Most apps are extremely limited to what you can do.

So nowadays, I find I have more tools available under the *nix OS than under the MS world.

Same thing happened when I tried to find a "decent" LaTeX, DOCBOOK toolchain for MS Windows. It just was not there.

For me, I can't go back to using MS Windows for anything other than helping solve some else with their problems. For me, I've more power and options under the *nix world.

Release Candiate 1

Adobe is one of my favorite software developers.

Release Candiate 1

Does Utilities count too? I like Ad-Aware,Spybot