Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Release Candiate 2

Default shareware (expiration_date) + old company= ?

If you download old shareware created by a company that is no longer in business, software that expires in 30 days, how do you buy the software and prevent expiration from shutting off the program?

Jasc (Paint Shop Pro 3 trial) anyone?

Administrator

in some cases you can still purchase older licences from the developers,but remember those who have the licences and for some reason or other lose the setup files or damage that all important disc,for those it is very essential that such sites as oldversion exist otherwise many of these programs would be lost for good.
    simply me

Release Candiate 2

Although the software, technically, isn't lost for good thanks to this site, a piece of good software still has been lost when it's a hassle to use it over thirty days. True, for example, I could screw up my calendar to continue using the software, maybe, but I'd rather have a calendar that's correct and pay Jasc. However, if that isn't possible, I'll also pay someone who has the knowledge to fix the shareware that I can't use after thirty days so that it does continue to work. In my eyes that is not piracy, not dishonest. No, that's just shooting off an old rusty lock on an abandoned gold mine. To me, Corel is far from gold. No, it's plastic and, therefore, brings with it debt, debt I don't want to pay and pay and never stop paying and then pass to my kids.

Sorry, I tend to let my political side, the side that has near zero for a voice, slip, on occasion, into my everyday conversation, accidentally on purpose. (Take that Republicrat drones and your bought press!)

Release Candiate 2

Default help from Corel is out

I contacted Corel, the new owners of Paint Shop Pro, and they can't unlock their software any more. I'd be curious to know if I were, say, the President of the United States, and I was trying to use Paint Shop Pro 3, if they still wouldn't know how to unlock their software.

Yeah, it seems that back when, I guess, they just misplaced the key in a desk drawer that eventually ended up in a dump somewhere, and then all the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Paint Shop Pro 3 back together again.

Of course this also means they have no machine/assembly language programmers working at Corel, as one only needs to bypass the 30 day trial counter subroutine to make the program work to infinity, or at least until MS forces one to buy another machine, where hopefully the program can be re-installed and used on it.

Anyone out there have any tips for how to hack Paint Shop Pro 3 or any 30 day trial period program for that matter? I only have a few weeks to figure this out, so I'll take ANY tips you might have to offer.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by me2 View Post
    Of course this also means they have no machine/assembly language programmers working at Corel,
    Not many programs are written in Assembly these days. Most is C, C++, Visual Basic.

A reason why COREL may not be able to assist you is that they may not have obtained the IP for older releases of the program. Whatever code was used to lock the program when it was JASC, that license may not have been transferable. A lot of programmers use 3rd party code to lock their software.

Quote Originally Posted by me2 View Post
    Anyone out there have any tips for how to hack Paint Shop Pro 3 or any 30 day trial period program for that matter? I only have a few weeks to figure this out, so I'll take ANY tips you might have to offer.
    If there is a workaround that's legal within the program, thats OK, otherwise asking for such techniques (illegal serials etc etc..) is not condoned or permitted here.

Release Candiate 2

locustfurnace,

IP??

Anyway, it appears you missed my post from the other day. My problem is solved, so there's no need for me to continue the hack. It donned on me that the old machine that had the program was still operational, just not used. Hence, I fired it up and copied the PSP directory. Finally, I changed the name on the 30 day trial PSP's directory on this machine and then added the saved directory to this machine. My licensed PSP3 works like a champ via that directory, so there's no longer cause to hack the 30 day trial as the problem is solved.

As far as why Corel won't help, it's very likely what I said.

It matters not what programming language was used, because the machine only speaks in one language: machine language. All languages eventually compile to machine language. If it can't be done in the machine's language, then it can't be done. That's just how a computer works. It is possible that no one at Corel can remove the lock (although that'd be very surprising), but it's not because it can't be done. Rather, there's no value in it for Corel -- someone would have to be paid to do it. They do not care about a few miffed JASC customers, such a small loss. Most have moved on to Corel's stuff or bought elsewhere. ...the second time I spoke with Corel, where I gave them my reasons why I wasn't buying PSPPXI, they didn't even try to sell me. They bought JASC to save their market, plain and simple. (Corel is highly dependent upon the business world customers, many who'd rather be using PSP.) They know their software isn't as user friendly -- they know JASC's was better. JASC had home machines and was creeping into the business machnes. Corel saw this and bought JASC. It was business, plain and simple. Helping me or the few other JASC holdouts is of no value to Corel.

Someone just directed me to this website and I'm glad I found it.

I have owned and do own PSP 5 and version 7. I didn't bother to update at 8 or 9 but I finally elected to try version 9 (I hate 10 and 11) and wow, what a sweet piece of software.

I, too, have written Corel and asked if I could purchase version 9 and they have not written me back (it's been six weeks at least) as I wished to purchase a product code for version 9. Corel, in my opinion, has really messed up a great product. I would be gladly willing to pay full price for version 9 if they would give me the chance to do so. Now, I can't find anywhere to purchase a product code at.

Before, PSP was a very unbloated and quick piece of software. All one needs to edit most jpegs for printing and online display.

Hopefully, software companies will eventually realize that providing old versions is not simply a kind gesture, but a monetizing opportunity for them as well.
    Alex Levine
    OldVersion.com
    Helper

Yes indeed your right Alex!!!

Welcome to our site kantucky

Administrator

indeed they should consider it,i will contact corel uk for their views and possibilities on the matter.
    simply me