Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Default VISTA: more security problems.

why does this not surprise me ? .according to internet reports ,Microsoft is facing an early crisis of confidence in the quality of its Windows Vista operating system as computer security researchers and hackers have begun to find potentially serious flaws in the system,On December 15, a Russian programmer posted a description of a flaw that makes it possible to increase a person's privileges on all of the company's recent operating systems, including Vista.

And over the weekend a Silicon Valley computer security firm said it had notified Microsoft that it had also found that flaw, as well as five other vulnerabilities, including one serious error in the software code underlying the company's new Internet Explorer 7 browser.

The browser flaw is particularly troubling because it potentially means that Web users can become infected with malicious software simply by visiting a booby-trapped site. That would make it possible for an attacker to inject rogue software into the Vista-based computer.
    simply me

Super Moderator

Actually, the reason why Microsoft and most software developers release beta's, rc's to specific groups is to help them do exactly what they are doing. To discover such issues which are missed in-house.

I think one of the problems is that since Microsoft is the most widely used OS on the planet the company lacks the true focus that you get when you trying to sell something. The people over at MS have become very slack in their jobs. They are too busy getting their hands into everything possible. I recently read where Microsoft and Ford Motor cars are joining up. Microsoft is trying to bump Sony's PS line with their XBOX. Microsoft is trying to bump Apple's itune & iPod with their Zune player. Microsoft is trying to outdo Google. I even read where Microsoft might be trying to develop their very own CPU.

Microsoft started out to be an Operating System developer, they should make that their priority over everything else until they get it right. Then again, MS Windows for the desktop never really was a marvel of technology. Everything they promised in their OS never really worked as they claimed, maybe not until their follow-up release. Which usually only fixed some issues.

With their hands in everything else it's no wonder they can't deliver on time or "innovate" anything new.
    Everything the new Vista touts, is already in use in other OS's.

Default Wrong. Doesn't anyone check their facts anymore?

Please do a little research before copying something reported by another news agency. See here for a little more accurate info. The flaw is an OLD one that is not anywhere near as serious as they make it out to be. It can not be used by a website, the user must either install the code or actively allow it.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by nunja View Post
    Please do a little research before copying something reported by another news agency. See here for a little more accurate info. The flaw is an OLD one that is not anywhere near as serious as they make it out to be. It can not be used by a website, the user must either install the code or actively allow it.
    the information wasnt actually taken from the news agency,it was from the bullguard newsletter and usually bullguard do not put things in newsletters unless its pretty accurate,i guess time will tell
    simply me

Quote Originally Posted by locustfurnace View Post
    Everything the new Vista touts, is already in use in other OS's.
    Name one that has ReadyBoost, or out of the box speech recognition.

BTW, MS did not start out in the OS biz. Gates formed the company trying to sell an interpreter for BASIC for the Altair 8800. What's funny is, he didn't even have an Altair until he and Paul Allen got one to write the interpreter. Also, they didn't get into OSes until 4 or 5 years later with Xenix.

Quote Originally Posted by the gaffer View Post
    the information wasnt actually taken from the news agency,it was from the bullguard newsletter and usually bullguard do not put things in newsletters unless its pretty accurate,i guess time will tell
    I just looked up Bullguard. Weird, I have been working in IT for almost 25 years and have never heard of them. I'm not sure I would put a lot of faith in a company offering backup service that allowed their main server to be down for nine days.

Administrator

I just looked up Bullguard. Weird, I have been working in IT for almost 25 years and have never heard of them. I'm not sure I would put a lot of faith in a company offering backup service that allowed their main server to be down for nine days.
    never heard of bullguard LOL LOL you really need to get out more its pretty hard to avoid.anyway i will not haggle it only drags the thread off topic
    Last edited by the gaffer; 01-02-2007 at 05:59 PM.
    simply me

Super Moderator

Name one that has ReadyBoost, or out of the box speech recognition.
    Inregards to "ReadyBoost," this is a different way to use a RAM drive. I can create a RAM drive on a flashdrive under any *NIX OS as well. I could even use a Flashdrive for my swap partition if I like.
    I can install a GNU/Linux OS entirely on a flashdrive and boot it. Then the entire OS will load from the flash drive and be extremely fast loading.

Apple's OS X already has speech recognition out of the box. I've already used it to play a game of Chess.

And XENIX being a UNIX OS.

Quote Originally Posted by the gaffer View Post
    never heard of bullguard LOL LOL you really need to get out more its pretty hard to avoid.anyway i will not haggle it only drags the thread off topic
    I've never heard of Bullguard until reading this thread:

From Wikipedia,
    Headquartered in London, United Kingdom., BullGuard has operations in more than 6 countries
    It's probably because you are from the UK that you are farmiliar with it when others are not.
    Alex Levine
    OldVersion.com
    Helper

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ABlix View Post
    I've never heard of Bullguard until reading this thread:

From Wikipedia,

It's probably because you are from the UK that you are farmiliar with it when others are not.
    that really does surprise me alex , i thought they would of targeted the states purely on the size of the place,still, perhaps now others will hear about it from OV and give it a go so perhaps this thread will do them some good and still help others,i have bullguard on one of my systems and it is pretty good i must say,never been a problem and doesnt hog resourses like so many others do.have tried it against many of the other more expensive virus scanners and it always gives great results,.......oh and for all of you now wondering UK wheres that i never heard of it,look on the map its a funny shaped, little island (compared to america) where it rains more than it shines and all us grumpy old forum members come from. lol
    Last edited by the gaffer; 01-03-2007 at 03:37 PM.
    simply me