Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Default Arcadia or arcada backup?

Hi Guys,

I recently found my old HP dat tape drive and it has a tape in it which I would love to see the contents of.....

........for nostalgia (and very possibly some old programs from 1995/1996..!! etc which could be useful to someone).

I used to run Excalibur BBS UK HQ and there will definately be something of use/interest on the tape... (for me at least!)

The main problem is, I cant remember which backup program I used... I have searched and found CP backup which I installed on a win95 machine... and this shows the name of the tape (BBS Backup) but shows no backups on it...(even tho I know there must be some so long as the tape isnt dead).....

I have wracked my brain and seem to remember trying several programs at the time, I found and tried CP backup for windows and wondered if anyone has arcadia or arcada backup from around that time that I could try...(or anything else that was popular at the time)

I know this is a pointless excercise to some, but I would like to see what is on the tape if at all possible.

Any other smart ideas on how I can get the info off the tape are welcome

Super Moderator

Looking around from the clues you left. It appears the software most likely would be "Backup Exec" from Arcada Software. This software has been owned by Arcada, Seagate, Veritas and now is known as Symantec Backup Exec.

http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/p...1018&pvid=57_1

"A runtime version of the Arcada version was part of the Windows NT 3.5 and listed as "NT Backup."

MS Widows 95 has a built-in backup utility that was geared for tape drives. Maybe you used this one? Likely the 95 backup utility is an upgraded version of the one included in NT 3.5

A shareware version of the older Arcada Backup Exec is unlikely.

A popular utility for UNIX was "tar". A lot of programs used something similar. The name tar was derived from Tape ARchiver. There is a windows port for "tar"

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/tar.htm

I think it was actually ARCADIA BACKUP FOR DOS either 3.1 or 4.1

How can I find this software now?

Thanks

Administrator

if all else fails mate you could try here http://www.adaptiveconversions.co.uk...re_formats.htm
    simply me

Super Moderator

If it was a DOS version, it is highly unlikely there was ever a shareware version of this.

As stated, alot of compression programs took from the UNIX systems.
    There is a UNIX compression program, which was seen on 286 machines as well as on DEC PDP's and many others. The program used back in the days to compress data was simply called, "compress."
    Are you even able to see any filenames of the data? Or can you not access the tape drive's contents period?
    If you can, does the backup end with the file extension Z ?
    such as 123.Z

Im kinda hoping there are some old school techies around here, or someone with some *OLD* CD's!!

I got a load of normal software off the Internet, but although I can read the tape header with a few, I cant get at the data...

So I have a list made up from old CD text files and if you have any can you please email me and let me know where I can get them to try......

Here is the list::

On slobby 20

NORTON TAPE BACKUPS FOR WINDOWS and ARCADIA BACKUP FOR DOS 3.1

playdoh 4

CPB8-2.ZIP CENTRAL POINT BACKUP V8.01 1/1

TW41NTA1.ZIP
    TW41NTA2.ZIP
    TW41NTA3.ZIP TAPEWORKS 4.1 SCSI TAPE BACKUP 1/3

playdoh 5

CBEXEC1.ZIP CONNER BACKUP EXEC FOR DOS+WIN 1/3
    NEB1.ZIP .2 .3 .4 NORTON ENTERPRISE BACKUP FOR DOS+WIN 1/4

playdoh 7

NWO-NV50.ZIP NOVA BACKUP REALESE V5.0 1/1
    CB-E-WIN.ZIP 1068586 Conner Backup Exec for Windows v2.0f [1/1]

playdoh 11

CPPENT.ZIP 271547 01-18-95 Central Point Backup v8.0 Fix For Pentium 1/1

PNX-AB4D.ZIP 1208974 01-16-95 Arcadia Backup for DOS 4.1 1/1

slobby 19-1

ARCADIA BACKUP FOR DOS 4.1 [1/1]

If you can help it will be much appreciated!!

I know this is a bit out of the ordinary, but I cant think of any other way to get software that is this old....
    Last edited by the gaffer; 12-20-2006 at 01:44 AM.

Default Arcadia backup for win 95 / 98

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInsight View Post
    Hi Guys,

I recently found my old HP dat tape drive and it has a tape in it which I would love to see the contents of.....

........for nostalgia (and very possibly some old programs from 1995/1996..!! etc which could be useful to someone).

I used to run Excalibur BBS UK HQ and there will definately be something of use/interest on the tape... (for me at least!)

The main problem is, I cant remember which backup program I used... I have searched and found CP backup which I installed on a win95 machine... and this shows the name of the tape (BBS Backup) but shows no backups on it...(even tho I know there must be some so long as the tape isnt dead).....

I have wracked my brain and seem to remember trying several programs at the time, I found and tried CP backup for windows and wondered if anyone has arcadia or arcada backup from around that time that I could try...(or anything else that was popular at the time)

I know this is a pointless excercise to some, but I would like to see what is on the tape if at all possible.

Any other smart ideas on how I can get the info off the tape are welcome
    I just happen to have a copy of the old arcadia back up that came with my tape drive(s).

I will send you a copy, since it is available as an "old" version.
    Topcat3hi

Default Can I get a copy

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat3hi View Post
    I just happen to have a copy of the old arcadia back up that came with my tape drive(s).

I will send you a copy, since it is available as an "old" version.
    Topcat3hi
    Can I trouble you for a copy of this backup software? Thanks, Mitchell