Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    MsPackerMom4

Default WinMX Msteriously Ends...(sill confused & not connected)

taken from... http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=921

now this hasnt helped me ((YET)) i still cannot connect to winmx...without purchasing it outright and if i wanted that i would just get a much better program (obviously thats why we have the internet so we all can share files and stuff anyways hope this articles helps someone... and maybe... someone can help me..

WinMX PNP Network Mysteriously Ends Operations
    September 21, 2005
    Thomas Mennecke

WinMX began its time as a simple OpenNap client in a time when Napster and Scour ruled the P2P scene. When Napster and Scour were banished from the Internet, WinMX's importance took on a new burden of importance. It reinvented itself from a mere OpenNap client to become one of the premier P2P networks of its day.

Update: Please read this article for reconnecting to the WinMX network.

During its height, WinMX, developed by FrontCode Technologies, eclipsed the Napster P2P network in not only resourcefulness, but also in population. During mid-2002, its population had reached over 1.5 million simultaneous users. With an active community, plenty of independent user forums and steady development it appeared there was nothing that could stop this network.

Then something mysterious happened. From July 2003 to July 2004, there were no updates to WinMX - nothing to improve the network architecture, the dreaded queues or any other attributes. Then in July 2004 after nearly a year of frustration, FrontCode released addition betas which many perceived as a mere "filler" versions. Version 3.53 did little more than feature “a major upgrade of the chat component and other minor improvements." Another beta version (3.54) was subsequently released, which improved the media library.

That would be the last anyone would hear from WinMX ever again. Slyck maintained communications with FrontCode president Kevin Hearn, who stated that work was still being continued on the mystical version 4.0. During the early part of the summer, Mr. Hearn told Slyck.com that something might be available towards the end of the 2005 summer.

However, another plot twist appears to have mixed things up once again. On September 13, 2005, WinMX was the recipient of a letter (along with 6 other P2P firms) from the RIAA. The letter demanded the receiving developers they cease infrin
    ging operations immediately, and offered to "discuss pre-litigation resolution of these claims."

Like Alberto Treves' decision to release the source of Ares Galaxy, or Sam Yagan's decision to join the DCIA, every move a P2P developer makes is immediately questioned to be in direct response to the RIAA's letter campaign. Such is the case for FrontCode Technologies. Or should we say WinMX Technology Associates?

Currently, the WinMX.com homepage, the FrontCode.com homepage, the WinMX PNP Network and all of its host caches are down. It is impossible to connect to the network, and those remaining online will only stay online as long as their host supernodes do. But is this the end of WinMX?

Perhaps not. Interestingly enough, if one conducts a DNS whois for "WinMX.com", the result directs owner ship to a "WinMX Technology Associates" - not FrontCode Technologies as it has in the past. Even more interesting is the geographical relocation from Toronto, Canada to Port Vila, Vanuatu. Many will remember that Sharman Networks pulled a similar stunt to avoid prosecution in the Netherlands and to capitalize on "tax efficiencies."

FrontCode.com is still registered in Canada. Kevin Hearn, who is usually readily available for comment with Slyck.com, has not responded to inquiries for several weeks.

Before anyone clamors the end of the WinMX PNP network, time needs to be given to allow for this development to unfold. Although it appears WinMX.com was reregistered prior to this event, its occurrence cannot be downplayed until this fluid situation is resolved.

Default winmix

i would like to know if wnmix still works or not? can some-one please answer this question for me

Administrator

hi mate, check out this thread http://www.oldversion.com/talk/showthread.php?t=2950 always try a search before posting new topics as many have been asked and answered before
    simply me

Default WinMX Help

Was Old Winmx User Have Just Found Your Site And Joined
    Would Like To Get Back On Don T Know How I Have Had So Much
    Trouble With Other Crappy Sites In Ever Had Any Trouble With Winmx
    Wat So Ever Please Please Help

Administrator

this was already asked and covered recently,please p use the search feature and read before posting, it gets you an answer far faster.
    simply me

Default WinMX is back

If you are like I am and are lacking in the "technical skills" department, but at the same time, miss using WinMX, there is a quick, easy and free solution it is called MXPIE. There is no spyware or anything else bundled with it. For those a little more savvy and courageous, there is even a manual option.

So come on back to WinMX, and download to your hearts content. Thanks to these updates, not even the power of the RIAA can stop a network.

IF you have downloaded WinMX and still cannot connect, you can even get personalized realtime help. Just go to this link WinMX Channels Copy the Room name appropriate for your Language and paste it into your WinMX chat screen, then press the Join Button. This works on version 3.53 and up even if you are not connected. It allows you to join into chatrooms set up for you to get immediate help.

Everything you need at the MXPIE Website Free and Spyware free.

I have also found a site for Computer problem that is nice, prompt and VERY helpful. If there is a problem you need an answer to, they can help.

Realtime help available for WinMX 3.53 users having trouble getting connected. Go to WinMX Channels.

Gold

Default About WinMX

I just would like to know why WinMX does not work anymore I have downloaded it in the Past and it worked just fine . And now I have tried to download it just now and now it does not work . Does anyone have any news about WinMX and tell me why it is not working ?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by briandurant2002
    I just would like to know why WinMX does not work anymore I have downloaded it in the Past and it worked just fine . And now I have tried to download it just now and now it does not work . Does anyone have any news about WinMX and tell me why it is not working ?
    A little searching, a little thread merging... And the answer appears.

Gold

Quote Originally Posted by locustfurnace
    A little searching, a little thread merging... And the answer appears.

What can I do to Fix Winmx to get it to work ?

Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire
    If you are like I am and are lacking in the "technical skills" department, but at the same time, miss using WinMX, there is a quick, easy and free solution it is called MXPIE. There is no spyware or anything else bundled with it. For those a little more savvy and courageous, there is even a manual option.

So come on back to WinMX, and download to your hearts content. Thanks to these updates, not even the power of the RIAA can stop a network.

IF you have downloaded WinMX and still cannot connect, you can even get personalized realtime help. Just go to this link WinMX Channels Copy the Room name appropriate for your Language and paste it into your WinMX chat screen, then press the Join Button. This works on version 3.53 and up even if you are not connected. It allows you to join into chatrooms set up for you to get immediate help.

Everything you need at the MXPIE Website Free and Spyware free.

I have also found a site for Computer problem that is nice, prompt and VERY helpful. If there is a problem you need an answer to, they can help.

Realtime help available for WinMX 3.53 users having trouble getting connected. Go to WinMX Channels.

I have tried everything this said and My Winmx still does not work is there something I'm doing wrong ?